A view of my commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've spent a little money recently. Not a huge amount, though. Just enough to get a GPS receiver to link to my phone. I occasionally need it for the car, and it will be useful if I do get into more recreational rides. What's great is that there is a lot of free GPS software out there that you can put on you phone. One I came across trackmyjourney looks very useful. It allows you to track youreself out on a cycle, monitoring speed, position, altitude etc. Cool!:sad:

So I had a go this morning, tracking my commute. Here is the snazzy picture it allowed me to produce of my commute. I like my new toy! ;)

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Pretty cool -wish I could zoom in on it so I could see the hills you do. How many miles is it Magnatom?

As my mother says: "There's only big boys and little boys when it comes to toys"

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Nigeyy said:
Pretty cool -wish I could zoom in on it so I could see the hills you do. How many miles is it Magnatom?

As my mother says: "There's only big boys and little boys when it comes to toys"

It's not far. 7.48km (4.65 miles) according to trackmyjourney! I get home before any of the more significant hills.

It's uphill most of the way home, although in total I only climb about 70m, so not a huge amount. Of course that doesn't take into account the Clyde Tunnel, where it can't track (and it has a fairly steep climb!).

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Crackle said:
Could they not put that wall around the whole of Glasgow in blue and green to keep everyone happy.

Badoom tish! I'll have to work out a new route for that.

Please note that my work is in the foreground and my home is in the background. It leaves some mystery as to where I live....;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Cool app !

I'll need to try it on my Samsung i8510 and see if it works on that. Much more bike-related than Route66 which my phone came with.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
Cool app !

I'll need to try it on my Samsung i8510 and see if it works on that. Much more bike-related than Route66 which my phone came with.

You can input your weight and tell it you are cycling, and it will tell you approximately, how many calories you are burning. I think it takes into account the hills etc!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Crackle said:
What's that bit of right loop over the river for. Can't you go more direct?

It's to avoid going through an underpass. You are suppose to dismount when going through the underpass. I'd much rather extend the distance a little and stay on the bike.

Nothing wrong with extending a commute.....:smile: :rolleyes:

magnatom said:
It's to avoid going through an underpass. You are suppose to dismount when going through the underpass. I'd much rather extend the distance a little and stay on the bike.

Nothing wrong with extending a commute.....:smile: :smile:

Especially when it's only a measly 4.5 miles.

;)

:rolleyes:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HLaB said:
Looks Cool. I'm too cheap to have gps on my phone but the site say it'll work with a separate gps receiver, I have one of those.

This is my commute with another package, its only 2D though, I dig the 3D stuff :rolleyes:.

I don't have GPS on my phone (K850i) so I bought a fairly cheap GPS receiver (Holux m1200) for £30. So I've now got GPS mapping (amazeGPS) and tracking (trackmyroute) for £30!

Much cheaper than buying one of those Garmin jobbies! :smile:

Does your phone have bluetooth?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HLaB said:
Yeah its an old 6310 or something like that?

If your phone has the s40 or s60 software on it then trackmyjourney mightwork on it. You could always download it and try. ;)

Top Bottom