A warning to those that use cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Quite. What a ridiculous thing to say. Sad to see there seems to be so many police officers out there inclined to side with bad drivers, because they are probably that type themselves.

As their duty prosecutor what they think about such camera evidence.

Gandalf

Veteran
It is only when you have to make a complaint to the police that you realise how entrenched the 'divine rights of drivers' attitude really is.

I'm not in a position to go into detail just now, but in a recent conversation with a police operator she questioned why I uploaded videos to Youtube and reported drivers for illegal mobile phone use because 'lots of people do it'.

I assume she was a civilian operator in a call centre, but even so.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Quite. What a ridiculous thing to say. Sad to see there seems to be so many police officers out there inclined to side with bad drivers, because they are probably that type themselves.

As their duty prosecutor what they think about such camera evidence.

I would suggest that the somewhat ignorant reactions displayed by certain members of the Police Force have to do rather more with the fact that, by consistently publishing instances of bad driving (as many helmet-cam wearers do), we are actually highlighting how ineffectual Police have been in reducing such behaviour - and they don't like it.

On a slightly different tack, much has been made this week of the fact that fines for motoring offences are being increased. I doubt that this will have any effect in reducing bad behaviour on the roads as the main reason errant motorists break the law is because they can be pretty sure of getting away with it. As there are fewer Police than ever now patrolling the streets I think we can be certain that this state of affairs will continue with all sorts of road users flouting the law.

If, however, the Police were to actively encourage more people to present video and photographic evidence then we may actually get somewhere towards ensuring more responsible behaviour on our roads. I don't think RoadSafe effectively encourages this as only a small percentage of people actually know of their existence, and, tbh, when RS appear to think that writing letters to cyclists complaining about language used in the heat of battle is an effective use of resources then one has to ask where their priorities actually lie.

I know a number of cyclists who have been knocked off their bikes by motorists but, so far, no motorists who have been knocked off their drivers seat by a cyclist - or even a (usually) well deserved swear word.

Gandalf

Veteran
I would suggest that the somewhat ignorant reactions displayed by certain members of the Police Force have to do rather more with the fact that, by consistently publishing instances of bad driving (as many helmet-cam wearers do), we are actually highlighting how ineffectual Police have been in reducing such behaviour - and they don't like it.

On a slightly different tack, much has been made this week of the fact that fines for motoring offences are being increased. I doubt that this will have any effect in reducing bad behaviour on the roads as the main reason errant motorists break the law is because they can be pretty sure of getting away with it. As there are fewer Police than ever now patrolling the streets I think we can be certain that this state of affairs will continue with all sorts of road users flouting the law.

If, however, the Police were to actively encourage more people to present video and photographic evidence then we may actually get somewhere towards ensuring more responsible behaviour on our roads. I don't think RoadSafe effectively encourages this as only a small percentage of people actually know of their existence, and, tbh, when RS appear to think that writing letters to cyclists complaining about language used in the heat of battle is an effective use of resources then one has to ask where their priorities actually lie.

I know a number of cyclists who have been knocked off their bikes by motorists but, so far, no motorists who have been knocked off their drivers seat by a cyclist - or even a (usually) well deserved swear word.

I think you may well be onto something there. The thousands of videos on Youtube cannot fail to make the policing of our roads look impotent.

In a recent conversation with a police officer I was 'strongly advised' to desist from filming errant drivers and uploading the footage and that I should 'leave it to the police'.

The officer went on to say that if I witnessed a driver using a hand held mobile whilst driving I should contact the police and let them deal with it.

Call me old fashioned but with current policing levels in London would there really be any point in making at least ten reports every day?

I would imagine the most likely outcome would be me being done for wasting police time.

Origamist

Legendary Member

I believe traffic police numbers have fallen by 20% over the last decade...

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
In a recent conversation with a police officer I was 'strongly advised' to desist from filming errant drivers and uploading the footage and that I should 'leave it to the police'.

Yes, leave it to the Police to do what, exactly? At the moment the most time-effective way to report this is via the under-publicised RoadSafe site. As they rarely, if ever, inform complainants of the actions they've taken as a result of the complaint we are left none the wiser and, frankly, with little incentive to make further complaints. Letters about language used don't exactly act as any encouragement either.

The officer went on to say that if I witnessed a driver using a hand held mobile whilst driving I should contact the police and let them deal with it.

This is almost comical. As a society we appear to have descended into a way of thinking where members of that society are discouraged from challenging antisocial behaviour because there will be some kind of Dixon-of-Dock-Green-Long-Arm-of-the-Law response which will magically sort it out. This is patent nonsense, as we all know, and just encourages an attitude of "It's not my problem, mate" or "I don't want to get involved"; any obligation for citizens to actually behave in a citizen-type way is negated. I've visited countries where, if someone behaves antisocially in public then they will (most likely) be challenged.

In the latest of the (extremely rare) replies I've had from RoadSafe I was advised:

For your own safety I would advise against taking issue with drivers personally.

So much for the Big Society, eh?

Call me old fashioned but with current policing levels in London would there really be any point in making at least ten reports every day?

I would imagine the most likely outcome would be me being done for wasting police time.

Ha ha! No, but you'd certainly be wasting your time. Life is too short!
whistling.gif

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think you may well be onto something there. The thousands of videos on Youtube cannot fail to make the policing of our roads look impotent.

I have just sent an email to the Indi Letters page this afternoon on this very subject - we need more Police and theres no way around it. The taxpayer will indeed now have to suck up the cost of past failure, and we as society have let it slip just as much as the authorities.

If the Police have failed people then they need to raise this issue with third parties like road safety charities, the press and shame the system giving examples.

I believe traffic police numbers have fallen by 20% over the last decade...

I have been told, unofficially, that it is more in Hants and other counties. Something like 40% reduction in the last 10 years, with a few PCSOs thrown in instead to do lesser duties. Any official figures online of the true impact?

thomas

the tank engine
It is only when you have to make a complaint to the police that you realise how entrenched the 'divine rights of drivers' attitude really is.

I'm not in a position to go into detail just now, but in a recent conversation with a police operator she questioned why I uploaded videos to Youtube and reported drivers for illegal mobile phone use because 'lots of people do it'.

I assume she was a civilian operator in a call centre, but even so.

It took me 10 minutes to explain that yes, some forms of traffic lights allow both pedestrians and cyclists...and that the Police telling people to push along a cycle path, which had just had been widened with these newer traffic lights installed (at a massive expense no doubt) was stupid and going to detract from people using these new facilities.

campbellab

Face it, we're not going to get any more police soon, and certainly not traffic police, best you can hope for is more PCSOs able to do traffic offences?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

I think I saw that a while back. I have no problem with Specials, in the main they have the same powers and responsibilities.

Back on topic.. I wonder how the Police would see videos like this below. This guy subbed me on YT recently. I'm not particularly impressed... though with the UPS vid I can definately say I feel his frustration.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bCbcoKuSr4

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkn17gL7_oM

rusky

CC Addict
Why bother posting a video of yourself breaking the law?? Especially as there are so many people trying to campaign for safer roads

Top Bottom