A warning to those that use cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Espcially those who report videos to Road Safe London.
I'm not the first and i'm sure I wont be the last to get a warning from RSL about the use of language.

I got a written warning today which outlines that if any further videos of me using offensive language in a public place then they will forward the video to the CPS for prosecution under the Public Order Act 1984.

I can't say i disagree with them, i personally don't want to act like that at all on the roads and as i mentioned on my blog yesterday, cycling videos can harm the image of cycling if we are seen to do stuff like swearing at every other road user.

In the heat of the moment when you have nearly been hit and the adrenaline is pumping, you might let loose a few words. I certainly admire anyone that doesn't.

There main point seems to be revolved around members of the public hearing that where not invovled in the incident. Which i think is fair enough, as i said in my blog post, it damages the image of cycling.

My new saying is
Cars and vans can brake my bones but swearing wil get my prosecuted

asterix

Comrade Member
Now wash your mouth out with soap!

crumpetman

The couple of times I have felt the need to shout an obscenity I then shouted sorry to those innocent people nearby.

In your vids, why not just mute the swearing or mute the whole thing? For the most part you do not need the sound to determine if someone has driven dangerously.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Blimey, better go and prosecute just about everyone you speak to. :wacko:

That's a bit naughty of RSL. :wacko:

My man, thou shall have to speak the mostest poshest of the Queens English - preferably with a plum in your mouth, quite ! :laugh:

'Oh you vagabond, please doth explaineth why you have used your horse and cart to run my penny farthing off the queens highway, my kind sir ? :blush: '

@#@#@###'@@'@@@ there - no idea what I just said. :tongue: Neither have I.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I got a written warning today which outlines that if any further videos of me using offensive language in a public place then they will forward the video to the CPS for prosecution under the Public Order Act 1984.

I think they need to grow up.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
easy fix, keep sending your vids just kill the sound on the tracks before you send them so there's no audio.
no evidence of you swearing, plenty of evidence of them committing road offences.

henshaw11

Hmm, bunch of f***ing jobsworths - they seem to be missing the point...

That said, on yesterday's commute when someone pulled a stupid overtake nr some lights I did remember where I was - in the centre of town - and yelled 'MORON!' rather than 'oi you thick c***!' - which would have probably been the case elsewhere...

The problem with removing the sound is if they start becoming threatening and you've previously lobbed some obscenities, you may be forced to leave the whole lot in...

BSRU

A Human Being
Does that mean you can swear like a sailor if you and the "video star" are not without ear shot of anyone else?

You could always make up you own swear words.

Tommi

Priorities, we can has them. I presume they'll also be forwarding videos of other road users using offensive language in public places? You know, if can't be bothered to do anything about bad driving at least make road rage more civilised.

Someone of my (unfortunate) acquaintance admitted that his use of language towards me was unacceptable and wrong. He apologised and pleaded guilty to the associated public order offence. He still felt that it was ok to run me off the road and attempt to punch me in the head though. Good to see that everyone is getting their priorities aligned :wacko:.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I do find this sort of thing a bit pathetic. Who says what is offensive? Is there somewhere a definitive list of words that are outlawed? What if I call someone a banker; is that offensive?

I suppose it's a good job that my cheap camera produces so much wind noise that you can hardly hear anything else most of the time. I never realized that was actually a safety feature!

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Priorities, we can has them. I presume they'll also be forwarding videos of other road users using offensive language in public places? You know, if can't be bothered to do anything about bad driving at least make road rage more civilised.

yeah actually you raise a good point, need to keep sound for when they lash out at you.
i guess its learning to bite tongue under pressure - easier said then done.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crikey, they're really on a go-er with this one. I'm one of those who got once got warned via letter for overly aggressive behaviour, and I thought that was a little over the top as the woman concerned had just nearly wiped me out. I thought I'd been incredibly restrained, to be honest, and didn't even swear.

(See http://www.youtube.com/user/rosickyize for the KJ 05 driver vid if you want to take a look for yourself)

Of course this particular letter rather cut themselves, as its main point advised wrongly that I should be riding to the left instead of taking the lane up Leaves Green hill. Funnily enough last night I got a finely crafted PDF from John Franklin with his expert analysis, and also an email from David Dansky, and finally another communication from the head of the Met cycle task force. All disagreeing with the roadsafe officer.

Annoyingly, they wrote in the letter to the driver that I should have been further left, and she was crowing about it. Do you think I should ask Roadsafe to write a letter to her correcting that, and admitting that on the contrary I was entirely right to be taking the lane, both legally and via best practice?

Origamist

Legendary Member
I can't say this surprises me - I'm half expecting a letter to drop on my doorstep about a public indecency offence given the state of some of my "older" lycra outfits. Please do not film me!

More seriously, swear in your head!

Top Bottom