A warning to those that use cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
There are cyclists!

I watched an article about a "Community Speedwatch" where local residents were using a speed gun and reporting speeding motorists. They would then get a letter based on this report. Two letters and the official warning was made.

We could easily start a similar personal cam based system.

A nice idea but such an enterprise could quite easily turn into a very time consuming and possibly stressful affair. I was in communication with the owner of a site specifically set up to report bad driving. It was a great site but he eventually abandoned the project just because of these reasons.

Far better would be the implementation of effective RoadSafe-type operations around the country which allowed contributors to upload relevant video. This would be accompanied by an effective feedback system involving RoadSafe operatives acknowledging the actions they've taken as a result of reports submitted. This would help increase complainants' confidence that such a system can actually be effective in reducing bad behaviour on the road. Ultimately, it is that confidence - that complaints made by individuals actually result in appropriate actions being taken by Police - that will help build a robust system. Currently, imho, there is no such visibly effective operation in place.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Unfortunately thats Section 4A, which has to be intentional. Section 5 on the other hand doesn't require any intention. Somebody within earshot just has to be alarmed, Harrassed or Distressed.

Section 5 is part of the Public Order Act 1986, which was not the act they referred to.

Section 5 is "Contamination of or interference with goods with intention of causing public alarm or anxiety"

Again, note intention. Also, this section is all about contamination of goods, such as putting poison into milk cartons &c. so has nothing to do with swearing.

Or is there another section I have been unable to locate?

And even if someone within earshot only has to be alarmed, harassed, or distressed, without testimony from said passerby that they were indeed alarmed, harassed, or distressed, the CPS have no grounds to proceed. Am I wrong?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Oh wait, I found it. It's still part of the Public Order Act 1986, not 1984 as in the original letter.

Harassment, alarm or distress.
(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he—
(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

(3) It is a defence for the accused to prove—
(a) that he had no reason to believe that there was any person within hearing or sight who was likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress, or
(b) that he was inside a dwelling and had no reason to believe that the words or behaviour used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation displayed, would be heard or seen by a person outside that or any other dwelling, or
c) that his conduct was reasonable.

I really can't see how the CPS could proceed without a compaint or testimony from someone who heard it at the time, saying that they were alarmed, harassed, or distressed.

Video of someone swearing is not evidence of an offence, as there is no evidence that anyone else heard it!
Also, not defence of reasonable conduct.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I think I saw that a while back. I have no problem with Specials, in the main they have the same powers and responsibilities.

Back on topic.. I wonder how the Police would see videos like this below. This guy subbed me on YT recently. I'm not particularly impressed... though with the UPS vid I can definately say I feel his frustration.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bCbcoKuSr4

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkn17gL7_oM

The guy's an idiot. See this one too... blazing round cars and through red lights with people crossing. Complete tool! :ohmy:

BSRU

A Human Being
Missed that one. The guy's a c***. Tempted to post it in crimestoppers. :angry: If he comes a cropper by riding like that I wont hold any sympathy.

He deserve a visit from the local Police, he's a danger to other road users.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If anyone feels strongly enough about him, you could do a bit of digging and find out which bus company he works for (probably Nat Express), and shop him to his employers and the council.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
If anyone feels strongly enough about him, you could do a bit of digging and find out which bus company he works for (probably Nat Express), and shop him to his employers and the council.

I read through his comments and his text on there but didnt come up with anything the other day. I'm doubtful but just in case have posted the link to crimestoppers as I cant figure out which area he's from. They'll prolly pass it on. Tempted to send the damn link to the press too.

Norm

I wonder if his user name is his registration number.

I was thinking that few people would be silly enough to do that but, then again, if he drives a Ford Fiesta Ghia 5 door 16v, then he just might be. :biggrin:

I thought it funny that the first time he takes a good look behind himself, at around 2:40, he does it when heading straight towards a junction with a car waiting to pull out from the left. That's one time I'd be looking forward, not the first time I'd be checking back.

From the shops and everything, he appeared to be around Smethwick in the West Midlands, but that's just because he goes past this place at around 3:56.

He has an impressive turn of speed but I spent most of the 7:10 of that video waiting for the bang.

classic33

Leg End Member
If it is National express, Howabout a phonecall to their operations manager. A Mr O'Toole. Lives not too far away from me.

Jezston

Über Member
One of his vids (of him riding the wrong way round a one way system!) has one of his mates facing the camera at the beginning, and it looks like it starts at a bus depot. Shouldn't be hard for his employer to work out who he is from that?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Can't see his employers being able to do anything about it. He's not driving at the time and is, effectively, doing it in his own time. The only time they could legitimately do something (I would think) is if he was doing it and openly bringing his Employer's company into disrepute... but as we are all unsure exactly who/where he works you could hardly claim that.

He is a full on knob-sack though, and no mistake. :angry:

Top Bottom