A wheel-sucker rant! (Thanet RC take note!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisz

Über Member
I am usually quite tollerant of people who want to "grab a lift" off my wheel when I'm out and about (flattered that they'd bother!) but I/we had a serious wheel-sucker incident this weekend that has left me feeling somewhat pissed-off!

We were riding in a small group on Sunday, completing the KCA 100 reliability trial (Ashford, Kent) - at around the 70m mark a group of three (Thanet RC riders) hooked on to the back of us for a lift - no problems - happy to work together.

However, after a while (10m) it became quite apparent that they had no intention of taking a turn at the front, even when we eased off the pace a little they remained steadfastly at the back.

OK, thought I, perhaps they aren't aware of the usual ettiquette, so I dropped back and cordially invited them to have a go up front for a while - nothing happened :sad:

10m from the finish I again invited them up to do a bit of work, - another refusal :sad:

Eventually I started to get the hump and said outright to one of the riders "Are you guys gonna do some work or what? You've been passengers for the last 25 miles!" - absolute refusal was the reply :sad:

We had a muttering between our group (Ashford Wheelers) and decided to ignore them, then, 500 meters from the finish the cheeky buggers decided to sprint past - they then completely blanked us at the finish control.

Normally this would not have bothered me - we would simply have pulled over and ushered them past - but we were getting close to our time limit and needed to push on.

Next time I will be taking some more assertive action (someone may have a close encounter whith a hedge!!!)

Thanet RC - you boys know who you are!!!

cd365

Guru
What can you realistically do in this situation?

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Rise above them , people like that are just parasites and leeches, you know you did the right thing and they are work shy toads..

So rise above them , or if that does not satisfy then a stick through the spokes when out next time will suffice.

Booyaa

Veteran
Was the refusal a verbal one or did they just not speak to you and not go to the front? How incredibly rude either way.

In another world I would like to just ride of the front away from them but in reality I would probably be dying after 70 miles so there is no chance that would happen. Whatever the deal it is very rude.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Does it hinder your performance having someone drafting off you?

I have read that, infact it may (marginally) improve it. But that's really not the point is it. A question of manners...
Sadly some folk are lacking.

Tommy2

Über Member
I wasn't having a pop, it was a genuine question (just to clarify).
I had seen something that suggested it helps but that was wind tunnel testing so not necessarily the same as real life conditions.

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

Über Member
Was the refusal a verbal one or did they just not speak to you and not go to the front? How incredibly rude either way.

Both - no doubt that they were invited, requested and outright told to help out/do some work/take the front for a little while :sad:

Top Bottom