A wheel-sucker rant! (Thanet RC take note!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

Über Member
I totally agree that it's not a race but a test of a team's (a collection of individuals working together to achieve a pre-determined goal or outcome T.M.H.N.E.T.!) ability to complete a set distance within a specified time bracket, with points being awarded for the number of club riders/teams able to achieve this goal.

So, not a race but there is still a competitive element involved.

The group who leeched on to us WERE made aware (several times) that we did not appreciate dragging them around without them taking a turn - there was no symbiotic relationship - purely parasitical. Had they had the manners to ask if they could latch on because they were knackered it would have been considered (bearing in mind the competitive element!). No such request was made, in fact a point-blank refusal to get on the front for a while was made.

If I am out on my own or even out on a club run I would have no issue with someone cadging a lift but this is, IMHO, different.

Final point - I could not have slmply lifted the pace to drop them as at least one of our guys was on his chin-strap anyway and would have risked being dropped as well (and therefore not making the time limit and so not geting the points for the club!).

I would probably have had a quiet word with my mates and at a predetermined place or signal, do two quick u-turns and come in behind them.

Crankarm

Guru
I totally agree that it's not a race but a test of a team's (a collection of individuals working together to achieve a pre-determined goal or outcome T.M.H.N.E.T.!) ability to complete a set distance within a specified time bracket, with points being awarded for the number of club riders/teams able to achieve this goal.

So, not a race but there is still a competitive element involved.

The group who leeched on to us WERE made aware (several times) that we did not appreciate dragging them around without them taking a turn - there was no symbiotic relationship - purely parasitical. Had they had the manners to ask if they could latch on because they were knackered it would have been considered (bearing in mind the competitive element!). No such request was made, in fact a point-blank refusal to get on the front for a while was made.

If I am out on my own or even out on a club run I would have no issue with someone cadging a lift but this is, IMHO, different.

Final point - I could not have slmply lifted the pace to drop them as at least one of our guys was on his chin-strap anyway and would have risked being dropped as well (and therefore not making the time limit and so not geting the points for the club!).

Maybe you should have dropped your team mate who was holding you back? This is what a team would have done if racing. He could have hung onto the back of the Thanet riders when you dropped them. SImples.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Maybe you should have dropped your team mate who was holding you back? This is what a team would have done if racing. He could have hung onto the back of the Thanet riders when you dropped them. SImples.

Get you point if the team were racing but OP says they weren't. I was always taught andalways practice with my team ( not cycling but profession) that no one gets left behind.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I can't see the issue. Bit rude, maybe, but I don't think they're breaking any laws. I think writing to the club is a bit extreme. Move on. If it happens again, pick the pace up and drop them.
Pick up the pace to drop some other riders on a 100 mile ride whilst you are 70 miles in. Sure thing.

Writing to the club is not extreme, I'm sure the security will appreciate being contacted about such matters as it makes the club look bad.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Perfectly possible if you've got the legs. Difficult if you haven't, obviously.
When you're riding in a group, you must go as fast as the slowest, otherwise you will leave them behind. The option to speed up may not have been available even if most of them had the legs.

subaqua

What’s the point
they could obviously see the laydees knickers through your lycra . it does say in your sig once a bootie always a bootie ;)

bad form whatever

If somebody admits they don't have the strength to come through I don't mind too much (its a pretty insignificant saving but at the front you save circa 0.5% with somebody on your wheel) but your drafters sound arrogant pr1cks. I must admit though a few times when I've had uninvited drafters Ive upped the pace :rolleyes:

ColinW

Regular
I was riding with Chris on Sunday. I didn't really care that they were sat on our tail for 30 miles, letting us do all the work, until that last 1/2 mile to the final time check when they put in a little spurt of effort to ride past on a little hill. That, I thought was so cheap

Top Bottom