A wheel-sucker rant! (Thanet RC take note!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark D

Sounds like bad form from the Thanet guys, shame you didn't drop them. Apparently it's neck and neck between Thanet and San Fairy Ann as to which club wins the Reliability Trial this year (results to be announced on 3 November...). Though, of course, as a member of San Fairy Ann myself (and second-claim Ashford Wheeler), perhaps I am a bit biased...

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

Über Member
Sounds like bad form from the Thanet guys, shame you didn't drop them. Apparently it's neck and neck between Thanet and San Fairy Ann as to which club wins the Reliability Trial this year (results to be announced on 3 November...). Though, of course, as a member of San Fairy Ann myself (and second-claim Ashford Wheeler), perhaps I am a bit biased...

Perhaps Thanet RC should "share" the win if they come out on top LOL

Booyaa

Veteran
I was riding with Chris on Sunday. I didn't really care that they were sat on our tail for 30 miles, letting us do all the work, until that last 1/2 mile to the final time check when they put in a little spurt of effort to ride past on a little hill. That, I thought was so cheap
That's the bit I found most out of order. Very cheeky of them.

boydj

Legendary Member
I can understand the annoyance. On the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool a couple of years ago we had a guy sit in on a small group heading back to Liverpool - never took a turn at the front in well over 10 miles. As we came through Birkenhead to the tunnel, he jumped a red light to get away from the group. The surge of adrenaline did get me up the long drag in the tunnel in double-quick time as I tried to chase him down. Very cheeky of him.

400bhp

Guru
Sounds like a normal club run at a certain club near me. Half of the buggers not taking turns at the front.:rolleyes:

7SecondBetty

I am usually quite tollerant of people who want to "grab a lift" off my wheel when I'm out and about (flattered that they'd bother!) but I/we had a serious wheel-sucker incident this weekend that has left me feeling somewhat ****ed-off!

We were riding in a small group on Sunday, completing the KCA 100 reliability trial (Ashford, Kent) - at around the 70m mark a group of three (Thanet RC riders) hooked on to the back of us for a lift - no problems - happy to work together.

However, after a while (10m) it became quite apparent that they had no intention of taking a turn at the front, even when we eased off the pace a little they remained steadfastly at the back.

OK, thought I, perhaps they aren't aware of the usual ettiquette, so I dropped back and cordially invited them to have a go up front for a while - nothing happened :sad:

10m from the finish I again invited them up to do a bit of work, - another refusal :sad:

Eventually I started to get the hump and said outright to one of the riders "Are you guys gonna do some work or what? You've been passengers for the last 25 miles!" - absolute refusal was the reply :sad:

We had a muttering between our group (Ashford Wheelers) and decided to ignore them, then, 500 meters from the finish the cheeky buggers decided to sprint past - they then completely blanked us at the finish control.

Normally this would not have bothered me - we would simply have pulled over and ushered them past - but we were getting close to our time limit and needed to push on.

Next time I will be taking some more assertive action (someone may have a close encounter whith a hedge!!!)

Thanet RC - you boys know who you are!!!

Hi Chrisz,

I was one of the wheelsuckers, firstly apologies I did talk to a couple of your guys but I had some nasty stomach cramps going on so was a bit quiet and just hanging on at points. The main reason we were at the back was our navigators Garmin went tits up at about 80 miles so we didn't really know where we were going. Sorry if this didn't get communicated, I personally didn't hear you ask us to take a turn, although I usually would have done anyway. As for going past at the end, I didn't but I think the other 2 thought we were running out of time and had set off before you not as it turns out 5 mins after. I had spent the whole time trying to convince them it wasn't a race... although with the wind and the punctures it was a bit close to the cut off in the end. I think we might owe you a draft and a coffee on the next one. Matt

Mark D

For the record, I have heard that Thanet won the Reliability Trial, 18pts ahead of San Fairy Ann, who came second. For the purposes of this event, San Fairy Ann's racing team, i.e. Abellio-SFA, counted as a separate team and not part of San Fairy Ann.

Kent2013

I was one of the three wheelsuckers as described in the original post , or at least i think it was directed at us.(some of the details differ to what i can remember from the day)
As a group of three riders we had ridden at least 70miles taking it in turn to be at the front , therefore we had each spent a considerable amount of time at the front.
Earlier in the event we supported a group of riders who were struggling with the headwinds, we moved to the front when they were struggling (they were completing a shorter distance) and remained at the front until the group split.
I personally was not aware that any requests had been made to go to the front and would have moved to the front if it had been requested. Especially as we were now in the stage of the event where we were benefiting from a strong tail wind.
As mentioned by7secondbetty we had chosen to sit in with this group as my Garmin had failed. If it was working we would have probably ridden past this group and finished earlier.
It was not a race , so i am struggling to understand why people would be so concerned about other riders tagging on to the group. We didn't tag along with any thoughts of causing a problem / frustration to those riders.
I know what motivates me to ride to work during the week and participate in group rides at weekends. Other than dangerous riding by another rider , i don't know why anybody should become so concerned about another riders behaviour. To become so upset and not deal with it on the day is a concern. When you get on your bike , enjoy the moment. Take in the fresh air and enjoy the scenery and unwind. Life is too short to become wound up by silly events.
Apologies to those in the group that took any offence from our actions on the day. If we meet again on another ride I will be happy to cycle at the front for as long as you would like me to stay at the front (its good resistance training)

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

Über Member
As mentioned by7secondbetty we had chosen to sit in with this group as my Garmin had failed. If it was working we would have probably ridden past this group and finished earlier.
It was not a race , so i am struggling to understand why people would be so concerned about other riders tagging on to the group. We didn't tag along with any thoughts of causing a problem / frustration to those riders.

You seem to have missed the points mate - (a) it was plain rude - you guys latched on, without even the courtesy of asking, (b) despite several "invites" to take a turn on the front you guys refused - particularly the guy in the BMC jersey who point-blank refused when asked, (c) it was a competitive event - in efffect we helped your club to win! (d) after having sat in for the last 20-odd miles you guys then decided to sprint past us in the last 500m - making no significant difference to your time - again plain rude!

On a club run, social ride, commute etc. it's a completely different matter - had you approached us and asked if you could tag along we would have been more than happy to help out!

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

Über Member
Hi Chrisz,

I was one of the wheelsuckers, firstly apologies I did talk to a couple of your guys but I had some nasty stomach cramps going on so was a bit quiet and just hanging on at points. The main reason we were at the back was our navigators Garmin went tits up at about 80 miles so we didn't really know where we were going. Sorry if this didn't get communicated, I personally didn't hear you ask us to take a turn, although I usually would have done anyway. As for going past at the end, I didn't but I think the other 2 thought we were running out of time and had set off before you not as it turns out 5 mins after. I had spent the whole time trying to convince them it wasn't a race... although with the wind and the punctures it was a bit close to the cut off in the end. I think we might owe you a draft and a coffee on the next one. Matt

Cheers Matt, much appreciated. For future reference a little more communication would be a good thing :smile:

Top Bottom