A Year.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My first recorded commuting ride on Cyclogs is 6th September 2007, which means that as of yesterday, I have been commuting by bicycle for a year.

From doing a 16 mile round trip, feeling like my legs were going to drop off every weekend, through a house move that saw the commute go multi-modal (train in the middle) and the overall distance increase to 27 miles roundtrip (provided I don't do an extra loop on the end). I've gone from cycling to save a bit of cash and lose some blubber (3 stones by the end of 2007) to cycling for fun (most days - even when it pours down, it's better than being in a car, or taking the train all the way in).

I have two bikes, and one of those has two sets of wheels.

I've learnt a lot of useful stuff, mostly as mechanical bits and pieces have needed doing, which has the side benefit of being able to do a little fettling for friends, meaning they can get out on their bikes too.

I've covered nearly 5,000 miles (not all of those commuting, some are taken up by weekend fun rides) and seen parts of of the countryside near home, and the city near work that would have breezed past ignored had I been in a car.

I've met great people, from the lads in the LBS, and the virtual "clubs" of places like Cyclechat, to the other commuting regulars I wave hello to each day, or pass the time with whilst waiting at the lights, and the folk in the bike user group at work.

There've been bad moments (I had two offs, one my fault, one that of an impatient bus driver) but it's never crossed my mind to not be on the bike.

Twiggy

happy cycleday

:biggrin:

Nice one, John. I'm almost a snap ..

My first ever commute was on the August Bank Holiday in 2007. I did 2-3 times a week until the evenings got too dark and then bottled it.

I started again in February, just the odd run, and then properly from the end of March. Like you, I now find I miss it if I don't do it .. to the point where I rode in last Friday even though the weather was forecast to be dreadful.

Sure enough although I made it in dry, it started p'ing down mid-morning so cue loads of banter from colleagues along the lines of "you're gonna have to swim home" and all that. I responded with all the "I dont' care" bravado and then suddenly realised that I didn't: I'd rather be on the bike in the wet than in the car!! Mrs L-C thinks I'm having my mid-life crisis.

But you're WAY ahead of me: I've only mustered 1500 miles in the last year, on my 13 mile round trip and the occasional jaunt out with the family. Hoping to boost that a bit this year though, basically by riding to work more and keeping going through the winter.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Happy Anniversary, John !

I started in April 2006 with the aim of cycling the 20 mile round trip to work two days a week for the summer and maybe getting fitter. Almost 2 and a half years later I now do 4 days all year round (Mondays are used to take in clothes, towels, Weetabix etc for the week !), and I now own two bikes (like you, one of which has two sets of wheels).

The Monday bus journey feels like it takes forever (and it does - twice as slow as the bike trip), and I'm getting less and less tolerant of other bus commuters... the fat ones who squash against you / the ones who haven't washed in weeks / the ones reeking of alcohol who think no-one will notice they've had a few before going to work / the yelling, swearing neds / the ones who fall asleep and end up slumped over you, droooling :sad:

The bike - the best decision I ever made !

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Nice one John, but come on you really need to up that mileage for team cyclechat. Got lost recently ? :sad:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Good work, John the Monkey. I've cycled around Crewe and its environs a few times (Haslington I know well) and I never saw that many cyclists - hopefully things are changing.

Keith Oates

Janner
Well done John, a good milestone to achieve and I'm sure the drive to keep cycling and commuting will get even stronger as time goes by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
User1314 said:
I bet you're thinking about a third bike now, aren't you?

Go on, 'fess up.

I know I am.

I'm thinking about a hybrid that's actually the right size, as it goes :sad:

(CRC do a really nice flat bar build of Planet X' Uncle John cross bike that's caught my eye...)

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Lazy Commuter - I rode through the winter last year - good lights and good reflectives are the key (imo), as well as dressing sensibly for the cold. I didn't ride on icy days (because it's bloody lethal to) but other than that, kept going.

Origamist - Haslington is actually where I am, coincidentally - I tend to put Crewe as my location because no one else has heard of Haslington :blush:

Cheers John. I'm aiming to keep going for the winter this year. I did a few cold (minus-something-or-other) but clear days in February and they were lovely. The key, like you say, is lights and reflectives. I've got one of those shiny Montane Fetherlite jackets to wear, plus some OK lights on the bike now so feel a lot happier about that side of things: most of my commute is quite well lit, there's just a little lane near my house which is quite dark and a half mile or so through some woods.

For staying warm and dry, the Montane jacket has coped with a couple of cloudbursts and I've got some adequate base / mid layers from the walking we've done so should be OK there. Anyway, it's only 6 or so miles each way so it's not like I'm out in the weather for THAT long. :sad:

Maz

Guru
John the Monkey said:
I'm thinking about a hybrid that's actually the right size, as it goes :smile:
Which is a lot better than a bike that doesn't!

Well done JtM. Keep up the good work!

Top Bottom