A1 crossing help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Not sure where to put this, just hoping for some quick local knowledge!

Tomorrow I cycle to Sheffield - or at least Wentworth near Sheffield, and I have to get across the A1. The friend I'm going to sent me a route, in which I'd cross at Barnsdale Bar using the A639, and then the road marked on my OS map as yellow to get me to Wrangbrooke and then Skelbrooke - but on Google maps and Streetview it's upgraded to an A road, and looks to be full of lorries.

Today he suggested a better option - from Campsall, crossing to Skelbrooke via a straight across route, the next junction to the south. Looking at Streetview, the A1 is three lanes each side at that point and there is a narrow pedestrian path, but I fear I could be there all day waiting for a gap. Plus the pedestrian path is very narrow, and I'm on the trike.

Lookin at the map, and Streetview, there's a footbridge at Skellow, with steps and a ramp, getting me across to the road to Hampole, which is on the route I need. Seems like the best bet... Except... Looking at Streetview, it sort of looks like the ramp is a series of shallow steps. It can't be surely - for wheelchairs and pushchairs?

It wouldn't be insurmountable, but a trike is a bit harder to tow up steps, esp with a stone of luggage aboard.

Anyone know it?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
No one?

Should have thought to check it all earlier...

I'll chance the bridge I think. At worse it'll be strenuous for 10 minutes, whereas the alternatives look terrifying, stressful or impossible.

KEEF

Veteran
Hi Arch not sure if this helps but I think the A634 Retford Road goes under the A1 have'nt looked at a map so don't know if it's near your route...

ASC1951

Guru
Probably too late now, Arch, but the two roads from Adwick over to Brodsworth are fine - one a B road underpass, the other an unclassified road bridge. That's only a couple of miles away from your footbridge.

(The Retford Road is right away to the south, at least another fifteen miles).

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Not too late at all, thanks! I think I'll try Skellow, see what it looks like, and if it's too much of a struggle, make the detour. I should have plenty of time.

I can't believe a footbridge with what looks like a ramp (IE, one long way up that doubles back on itself and one actual flight of steps) would actually have a stepped ramp, it might just be stripes painted on it or something, but I couldn't get a Streetview that was clear one way or the other....

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sorry I missed this, hope you enjoy the trip to Wentworth, it's a great place. Unfortunately you'll find out the bridge at Skellow is how you feared. They built them like that in the 60s, 70s and 80s and there used to be a lot round here with that style (most have gone now).

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I went back 15 pages to resurrect this...

Yes, it was indeed, a ramp with steps.

<bangs head on desk>

I bumped the trike up in the end - a bit of a pain, but just doable. Impossible for a wheelchair I would think.

Coming back, I detoured to take the next best crossing to the south and come up through Adwick-le-Street.

Wentworth did look nice - I wasn't there to visit the place as such, just to get picked up for a lift south to Portsmouth the next day. My friend lives in deepest Sheffield and suggested that picking me up would be nicer than negociating a strange and hilly, nay, mountainous, city.

Top Bottom