A1000 Great North Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I didn't know where to put this so here it is. I'm planning to cycle up the Great North Road, specifically the bit from Potters Bar to Welwyn Garden City. I'll be doing it on Sunday morning so could anyone provide clues as to what it's like and anything I need to look out for? I've got a feeling I've worried about nothing but good to confirm

TIA

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Forget that.
Just go up the A1010, B176, A1170 to Hertford, then at Hoddeston take the London Road to Hertford, from Hertford cross country to Stevenage.
Easy peasy. That's the way I am cycling back.

Not a terribly pleasant bit of road IMO. I've never cycled it but driven it many times. It's semi-rural with cars in a fair hurry, and narrow in parts. In most parts drivers should be able to see you from a distance, and should be fairly quiet on Sunday morning though. There is a strange bit just before you get to Hatfield where you fork left and then go under a bridge.

There are some cycle paths between Hatfield and WGC, there is one that runs from somewhere near Hatfield swimming pool I think, I can look this up if you want. Not a terribly pleasant path either, but it is off the road.

Top Bottom