A13 Shared Cycle Path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
HobbesChoice said:
Ooh, so 2 new bikes to get a maiden voyage along the A13 within January? I work by St Pauls so will get it delivered to the Evans there.

Sorry to hear about your chest infection, that's no fun at all :evil: Did the taxi drivers honestly not appreciate seeing you hack your lungs up??? Weirdos!!! :ohmy:

The secteur elite looks a nice bike too. Is that on the cycle to work scheme? What times do you cycle along the A13? We may have crossed paths before?

lol - he did look a little displeased and to be honest I was quite embarased but needs must I suppose.

Yes it is on the scheme being the cyclescheme.co.uk one, sounds like you are with the Evans one. I really wanted to support my lbs and they deal with Spez and Trek and in the end I settled on this one for now. I normally use it around 08:10 each morning and I go a different way home.

bad boy

Über Member
HobbesChoice said:
Ooh, so 2 new bikes to get a maiden voyage along the A13 within January? I work by St Pauls so will get it delivered to the Evans there.

Sorry to hear about your chest infection, that's no fun at all :wacko: Did the taxi drivers honestly not appreciate seeing you hack your lungs up??? Weirdos!!! :blush:

The secteur elite looks a nice bike too. Is that on the cycle to work scheme? What times do you cycle along the A13? We may have crossed paths before?

lol - he did look a little displeased and to be honest I was quite embarased but needs must I suppose.

Yes it is on the scheme being the cyclescheme.co.uk one, sounds like you are with the Evans one. I really wanted to support my lbs and they deal with Spez and Trek and in the end I settled on this one for now. I normally use it around 08:10 each morning and I go a different way home.

HobbesChoice

If I cycle in I'm normally at my desk by around 6:30am (to pop to the gym). I've been trying to work out a different route home to save the boredom setting in, but can't really find anything that's straightforward. Another cyclist from around my way I occasionally see cycles from Liverpool Street station past Bethnal Green police station and around the streets ending up near to where the old A13 starts again (in Rainham) but I have a typical female map muddled brain and couldn't work out his route.

We didn't have any real choice which scheme our company used other than a vote between halfords and evans. Evans obviously won that vote. I'd much prefer the cyclescheme set up. That seems the best one from a buyer's perspective.

HobbesChoice

If I cycle in I'm normally at my desk by around 6:30am (to pop to the gym). I've been trying to work out a different route home to save the boredom setting in, but can't really find anything that's straightforward. Another cyclist from around my way I occasionally see cycles from Liverpool Street station past Bethnal Green police station and around the streets ending up near to where the old A13 starts again (in Rainham) but I have a typical female map muddled brain and couldn't work out his route.

We didn't have any real choice which scheme our company used other than a vote between halfords and evans. Evans obviously won that vote. I'd much prefer the cyclescheme set up. That seems the best one from a buyer's perspective.

HobbesChoice

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

So two new bikes to watch out for flying past me ! However judging by your times I won't see you, (I am nearer 7 to 8am). Hopefully the worst of the crap weather is out of the way so you can enjoy your new bikes.

[bad luck on the off Bad Boy - hope the aches and pains don't last too long]

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

HC, I do cycle both ways on the A13, (should explore some alternatives when the weather is better / lighter). Evening varies a bit but normally between 6:40 and 8pm. I have a black Trek MTB for the commute and got a nice new Condor last year with the intent to use for the summer.

I had noticed the item on the new cameras - that will certainly affect the behaviour of the traffic!! I do see the occasional cyclist on the A13 itself but they are maintaining a good speed but still not something I would fancy doing end to end.

HobbesChoice

Our paths don't cross at all unfortunately! I'd love to see someone in the real world that I've spoken to on here! I want to find some alternative routes too as it does get a bit tedious some days. I'll have to find the back roads that guy was telling me about. If and when I do find an alternate route I'll google map it and let you know.

Is the A13 blocked up when you get there? I assume so as I often hear traffic reports about some incident or other from the blackwall tunnel onwards affecting the A13. I think it's mainly pure congestion when I get there (about 5pm).

I've seen the odd "hard" cyclist actually on the dual carriageway, but they do tend to get a bit of stick from drivers having a go as they're trying to get from the slip road onto the main carriageway. Even though the cyclists are hammering along! Fortunately I've not seen any of these cyclists show any signs of even hearing the shouts! Always around the Dagenham area for some reason.

bad boy

Über Member
I know a few of the back routes round newham past the city airport and Greenwich ferry. On a clear day the views over the city when crossing back across the water to Gallions roundabout is spectacular. If you take the road straight up it takes you back onto the a13 cycle path near beckton sainsburys sava centre.

should arrange a cycle in the summer !?.

Sig SilverPrinter

HobbesChoice said:
Our paths don't cross at all unfortunately! I'd love to see someone in the real world that I've spoken to on here! I want to find some alternative routes too as it does get a bit tedious some days. I'll have to find the back roads that guy was telling me about. If and when I do find an alternate route I'll google map it and let you know.

Is the A13 blocked up when you get there? I assume so as I often hear traffic reports about some incident or other from the blackwall tunnel onwards affecting the A13. I think it's mainly pure congestion when I get there (about 5pm).

I've seen the odd "hard" cyclist actually on the dual carriageway, but they do tend to get a bit of stick from drivers having a go as they're trying to get from the slip road onto the main carriageway. Even though the cyclists are hammering along! Fortunately I've not seen any of these cyclists show any signs of even hearing the shouts! Always around the Dagenham area for some reason.
Hi Hc
I come in from Hornchurch to Sth London . From mine I cut through past Eastbrookend Country park ,Oxlow Lane on to Longbridge Rd to Barking then straight down the Barking rd to Canning town then I usually do Cable st,Lower Thames then across.Have also done [going home] Whitechaple,Mile end to Stratford then Romford Rd and cut across at Whalebone Lane.
I have done the A13 path but not for a long time although I may see next week if its a quicker route .
Keep an eye on http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53023 they are great fun.

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

HC, The A13 can become congested in the evening ride home, (well the A13, certainly not the cyclepath), mainly where I join from Canary Wharf and can be heavy traffic until I turn off at Lodge Lane junction. Seems to run more smoothly on the way in.

Bad Boy and SigSilver Painter - maybe a summer ride would be good to look at alternative routes and get to meet some of you. I have considered a route very similar to that suggested by SigSilver Painter but always assumed it was longer - must try it when the weather is better and hopefully I have become fitter / more conditioned !
Bad Boy - I used to drive into London at the weekends along the DLR route / airport a long time ago as it was less congested but admit not cycled that way yet.

HobbesChoice

bad boy said:
I know a few of the back routes round newham past the city airport and Greenwich ferry. On a clear day the views over the city when crossing back across the water to Gallions roundabout is spectacular. If you take the road straight up it takes you back onto the a13 cycle path near beckton sainsburys sava centre.

should arrange a cycle in the summer !?.

Hi bad boy, would love to.

How are your injuries today? Feeling any better?

HobbesChoice

Sig SilverPrinter said:
Hi Hc
I come in from Hornchurch to Sth London . From mine I cut through past Eastbrookend Country park ,Oxlow Lane on to Longbridge Rd to Barking then straight down the Barking rd to Canning town then I usually do Cable st,Lower Thames then across.Have also done [going home] Whitechaple,Mile end to Stratford then Romford Rd and cut across at Whalebone Lane.
I have done the A13 path but not for a long time although I may see next week if its a quicker route .
Keep an eye on http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53023 they are great fun.

Thanks so much sig SP for the alternate route to look into and the link. I haven't seen that forum on here before, so much appreciated.

Top Bottom