aa gill on misunderestimation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

...genius.

"A study in Scandinavia has discovered that drivers in particular all rated themselves better than average, especially the ones who had been convicted of causing accidents. Ask yourself: are you better than average in bed? Do you think you’re more intuitive than most people? Do you have an especially fine sense of humour? Are you a particularly astute judge of character? Do you have very good taste? If you answered yes to all of these things, then you are very average, because everybody thinks they’re all brilliant at all of them.

Here’s the truth: you’re probably not intuitive enough to realise that you have no intuition. You’re too humourless to understand that you have no sense of humour. (Laughing at Little Britain doesn’t count.) You can’t judge character for the same reason you can’t intuit. And, even though you’re as lascivious as a gross of frogs in a bucket of E, you have always been rubbish in bed.

It’s now widely understood that all work self-assessment, so fashionable in the 1990s, is worthless, because you all have an unfeasibly inflated belief in your own ability. In fact, there is an equation that proves the more rubbish you are at your job, the higher you’re likely to rate your capability. So, all of those twits who say “My only character flaw is that occasionally I don’t know when to give up” have spectacularly poor judgment. Another study, from the University of Nantwich, revealed that 64% of people thought they would win a pub fight, 80% knew they would have been a survivor on the Titanic, 74% who had never tried it considered themselves potentially expert skiers, 90% declared that if reincarnation were a fact, they would have been royalty or famous in a past life, 83% considered themselves the most popular person on a crowded bus, 90% believed that if humans ever developed wings, they’d be eagles, and 99% considered themselves lucky, and thought luck was a skill."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/li..._drink/eating_out/a_a_gill/article5511275.ece

Chuffy

Veteran
This is all because there is solid data proving that AA Gill is a complete tool. Hushed up by his Times controllers of course, cost them a fortune.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Anyone who is known by 2 initials is probably someone who thinks rather too much of himself;)

Mr Pig

I agree with all of that, good post.

I am better than average at my job.
I am a better than average driver.
I am not brilliant in bed.
I would loose a pub fight!

I could not ski.
If I had wings I'd be a chicken.
Although I can be quite funny,
if the hijackers picked one passenger to shoot it might be me!

PrettyboyTim

Mr Pig said:
I agree with all of that, good post.

if the hijackers picked one passenger to shoot it might be me!

It's because bacon is so tasty.

Mmmmmmmm.... Bacon.

yello

I have no illusions as to my ineptitude. None whatsoever. I have always been, and will probably ever be so, completely useless at most tasks. I aspire to average.

Whilst AA (Alan Alan?) Gill... or the Scandinavians... or the researchers... or whoever it was (I'm afraid I got a bit lost as to who was saying what).... whilst they are right to point out that many people over estimate their own abilities, that does not - in all seriousness - apply to me.

Spider pig? There must be a 'Charlotte's Web' connection.... some pig.

Top Bottom