Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Took bike in for brake service was told £18 labour plus new cables with a total of around £30.

You can imagine my horror when they gave me an estimate of £70ish because the rear springs had gone on the brakes, the front pads needed changing plus the cables.

'Sorry love it just said service on the ticket'

AND they think I may need to change the cassette and chain on my next visit. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

I was assured they would ring if the cost came to substantially more than the £30ish quoted but I rang them to find it out.

Having spoken to a more experienced friend apparently this shop is known for ripping new people off. Am SOOOOOOOO angry.

thomas

the tank engine
Did you pay? I'd phone trading standards, avoid the shop and get another shop to confirm/deny their advice.

Trevrev

Veteran
Oh My God !!!
I'm lucky i'm able to do all that myself. I'm shocked by that cost !!!
My bikes only been to the bike shop once. Thats the day I picked it up.

OP
OP
Wheeledweenie

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I feel I have to pay. It's my only form of transport and without my bike I'm lost.

I'll just never use them again. I only took it in because I had a minor accident last week and thought a professional should check it over.

The work probably did need doing but I could have changed the pads myself and stuff so if they'd let me know BEFORE doing the work I could've sorted out what they needed to do and what to leave.

OP
OP
Wheeledweenie

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I shall name and shame if the itemised bill I demand is suspect.

I have berated the mechanic on the phone and am desperately hoping the bill goes down when I get there. I plan on getting VERY shirty.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I know it's bad, but if the bike's your only mode of transport then £70 isn't that much in the scheme of things.

Imagine if it was a car!!

OP
OP
Wheeledweenie

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
£70ish they said, it might be more.

OP
OP
Wheeledweenie

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Dayvo said:
Just tell them straight that you are NOT happy with their attitude or ethics and won't be using their services again!

Make sure you speak to the boss/owner! You have rights, too!

And try and get on a bike mech. course near you.

+1 to that!

If the work needed doing I'll be less angry but I object to them ramming the price up because the mechanic's been given the wrong instructions.

Come the revolution, they will not be spared.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
WW- that is ridiculous!
They legally should have checked with you before making the modifications - they are taking the piss really.

Get a chain link measure - that will tell you if your chain needs replacing - if it's past the two measurments from memory it's a fifth or 1.75 or something of stretch on the chain then you need to replace the cassette as well.

How much mileage have you done?

abchandler

I had something similar a couple of weeks ago. Spoke to Trading Standards, they suggested that the original quote was exactly that even if given verbally. In the end I retrieved my bike before the shop had started any work. I would speak to manager/boss, and phone trading standards from the shop if they refuse to stick to their original quote, which was the only one you authorised. You can get a case number from Consumer Direct on 08454 040506

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's steep...springs in the callipers (assume V's) - ball cocks..... never had 'springs' go.... a clean and lube is all that's needed.

£18 an hour is OK, and maybe £12 for pads (full set) - £30 OK - £70 - bet you got a new set of basic v brakes....

Argue on the fact that they've done more than you asked/were quoted.

TBH a bit of shopping on t'interweb would get you a full set of pads pretty cheap. A doddle to do yourself.

Top Bottom