Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chains wear - just changed the one on my fixed - 2000 miles 6 months all weathers - just on 0.75 - do it before it reaches 1.

TBH on an all weather , every day commute bike, I'd say a chain every six months, and if changed promptly, 12 months on a cassette. Chains about £10-£15, cassette £25-£35.....can be done cheaper with some shopping.....

Wheeledweenie said:
+1 to that!

If the work needed doing I'll be less angry but I object to them ramming the price up because the mechanic's been given the wrong instructions.

Come the revolution, they will not be spared.

That's their mistake then, I would have thought they can remove or undo any work they have done by mistake if they want but charge you for what was agreed. Take a big bloke/scary woman in with you and watch them do anything to your bike and never go back! ;)

I'm not 100% on consumer law, this sort of thing came up on one of those tv progs recently, but it sounds like they admitted to making a mistake and not following your instructions about extra costs too.

You could try posing the question on moneysavingexpert consumer rights forum....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=173&order=desc

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
fossyant said:
Chains wear - just changed the one on my fixed - 2000 miles 6 months all weathers - just on 0.75 - do it before it reaches 1.

That's what I was vaguely referring to!!!

I'd second becoming self sufficient re bike repairs - at least you can tell if you need to take the bike into LBS whether they're ripping you off.

PS they're trying to to erode at your statutory consumer rights - you agreed to £30 - they shouldn't charge you more without your agreement.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I would play dumb. Don't try and argue with them about what they did, it's like accepting they have a point even though you don't agree with it. Just keep repeating the basic point.

you: "I don't understand why it's cost £70 when you said £30"
them: "we did XYZ extra work"
you: "but that wasn't what I asked for. You said the work I asked for cost £30. I don't understand why you now say it cost £70"

etc

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I disagree with some of what you've written Betty

I think what you've written is correct mainly but don't say you don't understand as that will give them leeway to treat you as stupid- never play dumb in this situation. Ask for details and a explanation and break down of costs ie parts and labour. Subtle difference in language can completely change it round.

HobbesChoice

brokenbetty said:
I would play dumb. Don't try and argue with them about what they did, it's like accepting they have a point even though you don't agree with it. Just keep repeating the basic point.

you: "I don't understand why it's cost £70 when you said £30"
them: "we did XYZ extra work"
you: "but that wasn't what I asked for. You said the work I asked for cost £30. I don't understand why you now say it cost £70"

etc

Absolute +1 to that! ;)

redjedi

Über Member
fossyant said:
That's steep...springs in the callipers (assume V's) - ball cocks..... never had 'springs' go.... a clean and lube is all that's needed.

£18 an hour is OK, and maybe £12 for pads (full set) - £30 OK - £70 - bet you got a new set of basic v brakes....

Argue on the fact that they've done more than you asked/were quoted.

TBH a bit of shopping on t'interweb would get you a full set of pads pretty cheap. A doddle to do yourself.

It does sound very steep to me.

£30 on the original quote for a set of brake cables and fitting, sound about right

An extra £40 for a rear brake and and some brake blocks ;) There shouldn't be much more labour involved in putting on a new brake and blocks. 10 -15 mins extra tops.

If I recall you've got a Specialized Sirrus. That should have decent brakes on it and shouldn't need replacing for many years, unless you've given them a really bad knock.

If you do go ahead with the repairs, find out exactly would parts they used and ask for the boxes, and get you old parts back (I wouldn't mind seeing them) - do this soon so they can't claim to have thrown them away.

Wasn't your recent fall at the beginning of a FNRttC caused because you had just had new brakes fitted, what parts were replaced that time???

And if you need a big scary looking bloke (I'M sure Mr Wheenie is far too handsome) I'd be happy to back you up, I haven't shaved all week :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have had the springs go - twice on my old bike. In each case the brake started rubbing a bit on that side before hand and after adjustment would start to rub again - my LBS did replace it without checking with me the 2nd time it went - as it actually snapped when it was being serviced. (However I had noticed it a month before and wondered if it was about to go). However I do trust my LBS so I didn't mind that they had fixed it without asking - they were trying to keep me on the road - I think the new brake cost about £18 for a Shimano Deore one.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'd put this bad experience on the LBS review section to try and warn people off the shop in future.

Wheeledweenie said:
Took bike in for brake service was told £18 labour plus new cables with a total of around £30.

You can imagine my horror when they gave me an estimate of £70ish because the rear springs had gone on the brakes, the front pads needed changing plus the cables.

'Sorry love it just said service on the ticket'

AND they think I may need to change the cassette and chain on my next visit. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

I was assured they would ring if the cost came to substantially more than the £30ish quoted but I rang them to find it out.

Having spoken to a more experienced friend apparently this shop is known for ripping new people off. Am SOOOOOOOO angry.

I'd definitely ditch the gold plated springs and get some steel ones :biggrin:

thomas

the tank engine
ttcycle said:
I disagree with some of what you've written Betty

I think what you've written is correct mainly but don't say you don't understand as that will give them leeway to treat you as stupid- never play dumb in this situation. Ask for details and a explanation and break down of costs ie parts and labour. Subtle difference in language can completely change it round.

+1. don't act dumb, act like you know what your talking about. If the shop continually does 'extra' work to bikes so they can charge more then that would really increase their bottom line.

If they screwed up tell them. Refuse to pay for the additional work/parts.

rh100

WW, sorry for your bad experience, regardless what they do now you know not to trust them. Stand your ground, maybe compromise and pay for parts only, but only if you agree they really needed replacing - if they did need replacing then there is no point having them took off only to have someone else do it the next day. If they didn't need replacing, they shouldn't charge you anything, you asked for an estimate - not a final bill. See if you can get the labour knocked off and just pay for the parts.

Shame they are willing to risk thir reputation for a few quid. My LBS has done well again today - really helped me out, gave me a load of advice and charged next to nothing in labour considering the benefit I got. The point is, they look after me so get my repeat custom, I ended up spending fifty odd quid on accessories as I would rather support them than Halfords.

edit: ps - dont act dumb - it gives them license to take the pee next time and overprice from the outset

StuartG

slower but further
Took a bike to my LBS get front/rear & gear cables sorted. We had a row but I managed to negotiate the price UP TO a TENNER!

I still feel I robbed him. Some LBS are just too good to stay in business methinks.

Top Bottom