Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
WW - buy a good book on how to fix bikes and do it everything yourself in future.

Simples ;)

brokenbetty

Über Member
thomas said:
+1. don't act dumb, act like you know what your talking about. If the shop continually does 'extra' work to bikes so they can charge more then that would really increase their bottom line.

If they screwed up tell them. Refuse to pay for the additional work/parts.

By having a conversation about what work was done and why, you are implicitly saying it might be ok as long as the extra work they've done was necessary. That's the conversation they want to have, because it becomes about who knows best, you or the person you paid to do a job because you can't or won't do it yourself.

IMO the best way is to avoid all that and stick to the basics. You didn't ask for it, you shouldn't pay for it. Simples. Anything else is just noise.

Liz

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
The thing is Liz, if you are forcing them to justify why the costs have now gone up ridiculously and they can't then they haven't got a leg to stand on. Componenets only retails for a certain amount and WW's quote just seems a tad high.

WW - any news on what happened?

thomas

the tank engine
brokenbetty said:
IMO the best way is to avoid all that and stick to the basics. You didn't ask for it, you shouldn't pay for it. Simples. Anything else is just noise.

That's different to acting dumb or stupid. The shop should have phoned before carrying out the extra work, as agreed, and therefore if the OP isn't happy she shouldn't pay for the extra work/have the bike put back how it was and only have the agreed work.

Sometimes it makes more sense to scrap a bike and start again, rather than have certain parts fixing (I'm not saying that this is the case over brakes!)

PBancroft

How annoying! I think its fair to say that any business can make a mistake, but it takes a decent one to correct it.

If someone did scribble full service on the ticket in error, then that would be what work they did. A relatively easy slipup, but with quite a major implication in terms of costs to you. If you think the work was actually needed, but was just a bit of a shock to not be asked, see if you can haggle on the price - say paying for parts only.

bauldbairn

Lazy-Commuter said:
= Add another 0 in most cases!!

Spot on - got quote from local Honda dealer to fix car hand brake - wanted £800. Took it to small indie garage - they fixed it for £30, it'd been wrongly adjusted by the experts. :biggrin:

So shop around for quotes for whatever you get done to your bike too. :smile:

Sam Kennedy

I had a free service, My brake blocks got replaced and so did the cables, total cost £11.97. (£10 for the blocks, £2 for the cables), I don't see why it would cost £70 unless they put really high spec cables and blocks and springs on?

OP
OP
Wheeledweenie

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I've been off work but can now update:

I went in and got very grumpy. It was miscommunication with their mechanic and, to be fair, he was incredibly apologetic and explained everything they'd done. They replaced the rear brake, all of it, and he did show me why. I must admit it made sense. It was definitely not working. He had also noticed a gear issue I hadn't mentioned to them and they'd put that right as well, replaced one set of blocks and a cable.

It had come in at around £75, so he brought the labour down to what I'd been quoted and it was £60.

He'd already done all the replacements and, if I'm brutally honest I had a go and Reg feels like he's brand new again. He's responsive, the gears change beautifully and the rattle on the back wheel (loose spokes apparently) is gone. They'd also cleaned him up and lubed him.

I paid the £60 and went on my way. I know I could've been stronger but I just wanted to go home and take my bike. They did a good job and I had, in my head, been willing to go to £50 if they'd rung me and said extra work needed doing so by arguing down to £60 I'd only gone £10 over budget instead of £25.

I just won't be using them again. I shall return to my other LBS that I normally use but had been closed when I needed the work doing. They know my bikes by name and, having had an unexpected expense on my previous bike, I know they'll ring if things change and they're much cheaper.

rh100

Wheeledweenie said:
I've been off work but can now update:

I went in and got very grumpy. It was miscommunication with their mechanic and, to be fair, he was incredibly apologetic and explained everything they'd done. They replaced the rear brake, all of it, and he did show me why. I must admit it made sense. It was definitely not working. He had also noticed a gear issue I hadn't mentioned to them and they'd put that right as well, replaced one set of blocks and a cable.

It had come in at around £75, so he brought the labour down to what I'd been quoted and it was £60.

He'd already done all the replacements and, if I'm brutally honest I had a go and Reg feels like he's brand new again. He's responsive, the gears change beautifully and the rattle on the back wheel (loose spokes apparently) is gone. They'd also cleaned him up and lubed him.

I paid the £60 and went on my way. I know I could've been stronger but I just wanted to go home and take my bike. They did a good job and I had, in my head, been willing to go to £50 if they'd rung me and said extra work needed doing so by arguing down to £60 I'd only gone £10 over budget instead of £25.

I just won't be using them again. I shall return to my other LBS that I normally use but had been closed when I needed the work doing. They know my bikes by name and, having had an unexpected expense on my previous bike, I know they'll ring if things change and they're much cheaper.

Great stuff - sounds like you got a result.

HobbesChoice

I'd have been happy enough with that too. Especially as everything is running so much smoother. Not a nice thing to happen, but at least they won't be rewarded with your repeat custom so they lose out on so much more for the sake of a potential £25 (that was reduced to£10)! Silly really as it's not just your custom they lose but all those you tell about it.

redjedi

Über Member
Can you name and shame this LBS?

And if you want good service in West London, try Wizz Bikes. Not the best shop for buying bits, but for repairs and services they are very good.
I've had 3 or 4 things done to my bikes in the last couple of years and so far I've paid a grand total of £5 in service charges.

Top Bottom