Aaargh...blimmin phone keeps restarting mid-ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just venting....

Bought a new phone last month with a high capacity battery and waterproof/shockproof as my old HTC's inbuilt battery was starting to fail to hold charge. Perhaps my fault for going to Gearbest and gambling on a Cubot King Kong 4G as trying to do anything in root is hindered by 所有文字都是汉字

Longest ride for years last weekend - not recorded fully.
Just been out for an evening bimble. Lo and behold, with 5 miles left Android had crashed and Strava quit recording

As it was a steady 20 miler I was just nicely warmed up for a segment close to my house that I really caned. A guaranteed PR lost in the ether.

21st century problems eh....far cry from when the "tick - tick - tick" of the spindle-mounted mileometer used to get irritating. And that used to stop working if the spoke doobrie spun round and stopped engaging
mileo.JPG

Bites lip to avoid stating obvious solution.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you haven't already done so, check if there are any Android updates for it.

I had a phone that was an absolute mare for a few days, locking up / shutting down and rebooting for no reason, but once updated it was fine.

snorri

Legendary Member
I've just been reading about minelaying operations when the Northern Barrage was being laid across the North Sea during the first world war. Measurements of where the mines had been laid in the minefield were very important, so as the minelayer was dropping the mines off the stern of the ship they were also paying out a wire which had been secured to the first mine dropped. On one occasion they paid out 122 miles of continuous wire.
Possibly you could adapt this method of distance measurement to provide a solution to your problem?:whistle:.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Issue solved - it doesn't like metal things!

Put keys and wallet in seat pack and phone in handlebar bag - no issues whatsoever
Then realised that the other time it cuts out is when using Spotify in my workshop - where it's stood under a spanner rack

The metal must be shielding the Chinese Spy Satellites :laugh:

I've just been reading about minelaying operations when the Northern Barrage was being laid across the North Sea during the first world war. Measurements of where the mines had been laid in the minefield were very important, so as the minelayer was dropping the mines off the stern of the ship they were also paying out a wire which had been secured to the first mine dropped. On one occasion they paid out 122 miles of continuous wire.
Possibly you could adapt this method of distance measurement to provide a solution to your problem?:whistle:.

Funny you should say this about the wire. For many years now I have had a theory about attaching an awfully long hose pipe to a space ship, sending said space ship to the moon and pumping water to the moon. This would serve a number of purposes, putting water on the moon to try and promote life, draining back some of our oceans to create more land and keeping the workers at the Hozelock factory in work post Brexit.

I do have other projects that need considering.

Issue solved - it doesn't like metal things!

Put keys and wallet in seat pack and phone in handlebar bag - no issues whatsoever
Then realised that the other time it cuts out is when using Spotify in my workshop - where it's stood under a spanner rack

The metal must be shielding the Chinese Spy Satellites :laugh:

I use an Huawei... Cracking phone but:eek:

Then again if they hacked my phone.. They would find dodgy jokes and cat videos on facebook

Top Bottom