Aaargh, HALFORDS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianco

Bought a Subway 2 for Mrs Bianco. Its a lovely bike however upon building I realise they've supplied me with a 3 speed shifter and a double chainring, double was specified as its a 16 speed.

Now do I

a)make them replace both my shifters as I want a matching pair for her £350 bike(only fair they match as it's brand new)

b)if they can't get a matching pair I want an upgrade to a triple, inc new chainset, front mech etc...

c)if they won't do either tell them I want a sufficient discount to purchase equal or above level replacement components that do the job. If so, how much should I ask for?

The 3 speed shifter doesn't pull enough cable in 1 shift to change gear, and it won't click again as the limiter to stop the chain going off is preventing this.

The shifter is the sram sx4. What would everyone else do??

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I would take it all back. Get my money back and buy it from somewhere else.

I'm Having some really bad experiences with Halfords recently... Truly awful shop. I can understand poor stock. I can understand out of stock. I can understand lack of knowledge. I can even understand spotty kids 'working' there cause no-one else will employ them. I can't understand these factors all together. Absolute wonder they are pursuing the bike market, cause they are bloody awful at it.

Tynan

Veteran
full refund is my guess

not been there since they assured me that my scooter rear tyre would be absolutely fine with a slime anti puncture solution made for wheelbarrows

OP
OP
B

bianco

I've just phoned and they've stated it's intentional, they're phoning they're tech support and going to call me back!

RedBike

Don't forget most road bikes use a triple shifter for moving a double. This is very deliberate and allows you to 'trim the mech'. (avoid the chain rubbing on the front mech in extreme ratios.)

However, the shifters are designed to be used like this!

I've had no end of disasters at Halfords. I will never ever get my bike repaired there again.

OP
OP
B

bianco

They've now admitted to fitting the wrong shifters through the enitre subway range and have agreed to upgrade the bike to a triple chainset!!

Nice!

gavintc

Guru
I wonder how many other purchasers are completely unaware that they have a bike with the wrong shifters. Take the warning, get your money back and go elsewhere.

stevenb

I'd request a full refund.
Halfords obviously haven't met your customer needs.
Take it back and tell them what you were expecting.

My 2p :biggrin:

OP
OP
B

bianco

Mrs Bianco is happy with the results of a triple, just means me riding it 12 miles and back!

gavintc

Guru
bianco said:
They've now admitted to fitting the wrong shifters through the enitre subway range and have agreed to upgrade the bike to a triple chainset!!

Nice!
I wonder if they will replace the front and rear derailleurs with some suitable for a triple or leave them with double ones. I somehow suspect that Halfraud will simply replace the chainset! I think you will have some problems.

Tynan

Veteran
if they've agreed to make it right then they don't have to refund

unless they choose to natch

Top Bottom