Abandoned bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
There are now two poor abandoned bikes locked up to the stand. The first is a Raleigh Grande tourer which has been there since September. It was joined just before Christmas by an unidentified single speed bike which was locked to the first one.
They are slowly rusting away but are intact apart from the Raleigh's front wheel which has gone missing.
I wonder how many others are waiting to be reclaimed.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A proper shame no doubt, but if they're locked up that's a pretty clear signal that they belong to someone else; even if they have been neglected / abandoned..

Common site in University towns, loads around Manchester in varying stages of urban decay.

Never understood why some are left locked in certain places though. On a campus or at student digs, yes I get that, but just left in the city?

They've obviously ridden it there, made the effort to lock it, gone about their business, and then what happened next??????

Some do get fettled and sold back on to students, but some just gradually disappear piece by piece.

roley poley

Über Member
Common site in University towns, loads around Manchester in varying stages of urban decay.

Never understood why some are left locked in certain places though. On a campus or at student digs, yes I get that, but just left in the city?

They've obviously ridden it there, made the effort to lock it, gone about their business, and then what happened next??????

Some do get fettled and sold back on to students, but some just gradually disappear piece by piece.
Same in Leeds on railings or cycle stands slowly being parted out ..maybe they went out on a pub crawl in the new city and couldn't remember where they had left it or even how they got home :shy:

There's a 17 plate Audi that hasn't moved since lockdown by me. Windscreen covered in sap and leaves. Odd.

Can I rescue that at some point ?

Gunk

Guru
There has been an abandoned Dawes Galaxy abandoned outside M&S in Oxford for months, such a shame. If there wasn’t a CCTV camera right in front of it, I’d have snipped off the lock and given it a loving home.

Chris S

Legendary Member
This bad-boy is all alone in our shed at work, not sure when it last moved :sad:

View attachment 547695
This bad-boy is all alone in our shed at work, not sure when it last moved :sad:

View attachment 547695
It was probably abandoned because it's absolute junk. They were sold by Tescos and the numerous returns were sold on ebay. They must have been the only bike ever to have chrome rims (that won't stop in the wet) and V-brakes. They also had a 5-speed hub that was effectively a 4-speed because bottom gear was difficult to select.

I wouldn't even use the frame for a single-speed, they were heavy and bent easily. About the only thing that is any use on it is the rear reflector.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I asked my local plod once (when they existed) if I could rescue old abandoned cycles as I wanted to do them up and pass them on to the people in the hostel I worked in to give them mobility but was told it was theft by finding?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

I've seen this abandoned bike (the blue one with no wheels!) padlocked by the bike path alongside the A45 for the last couple of weeks.

It's a proper BSO, but if you're going to dump it, why lock it up there?

Chris S

Legendary Member
I asked my local plod once (when they existed) if I could rescue old abandoned cycles as I wanted to do them up and pass them on to the people in the hostel I worked in to give them mobility but was told it was theft by finding?
Yes - but under English law you cannot commit a theft by removing property that has been abandoned by its owner. It's a grey area so don't risk it.

Top Bottom