Abandoned Tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I haven't done any serious camping since around 50 years ago. Back then I had what they called a “ mountaineering tent“ that could withstand up to 60 mph winds, supposedly. It would just blow completely flat if the stakes held. I never tried out winds like that though. Even a half century ago that tent was over $200. I cherished it, cleaned it, try to treat it with respect.

I have never seen or heard of these throwaway type tents that everyone is talking about. Sounds like it was a crappy invention. It is discouraging enough to try to pack a nice quality tent when it is completely soggy under the worst of circumstances.

As kids we used to try to follow the motto “leave nothing behind, leave things as they were when you got there“ which meant packing out our garbage, empty liquor bottles, etc. So much for that now it seems. Fields of abandons tents! Amazing. not to say we are any different at all over here in the States though, Woodstock and that type of musical festivals look like a complete trash disaster afterwards as well. I think we have just become way too accepting everything being disposable.

Drago

Legendary Member
Can’t speak for the USA, but the British have definite techniques for damaging their gear, all set out in a manual, a lump of explosive on the side of a tank won’t do much, military kit is built to stand explosions, a smaller lump somewhere vital, sights, gun breeches or engine blocks, say, is much more effective.
Oh aye, a 20g shaped charge on the engine block or breech will do more practical damage than a sabot discarding depleted uranium penetrator.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
She should win a week in a 5* hotel for her achievements...to see what she is missing :whistle:

Yebbut you don't get this view like this just before shut eye..no matter how fancy the hotel.

However don't get me wrong..I'm partial enough to a night in a guest house, or fancier, on a longish trip..

Particularly if it has a bath 🤩

I haven't done any serious camping since around 50 years ago. Back then I had what they called a “ mountaineering tent“ that could withstand up to 60 mph winds, supposedly. It would just blow completely flat if the stakes held. I never tried out winds like that though. Even a half century ago that tent was over $200. I cherished it, cleaned it, try to treat it with respect.

I have never seen or heard of these throwaway type tents that everyone is talking about. Sounds like it was a crappy invention. It is discouraging enough to try to pack a nice quality tent when it is completely soggy under the worst of circumstances.

As kids we used to try to follow the motto “leave nothing behind, leave things as they were when you got there“ which meant packing out our garbage, empty liquor bottles, etc. So much for that now it seems. Fields of abandons tents! Amazing. not to say we are any different at all over here in the States though, Woodstock and that type of musical festivals look like a complete trash disaster afterwards as well. I think we have just become way too accepting everything being disposable.

Steady with the 'we' there.

As a household we probs have tents numbered well into the in the high teens..

Backpacking for one back packing for two.

Bike packing for one.

With a number of other variants and styles depending on whether it's lowland summer or winter, Highland summer or winter.

Then there's car camping for one two or four,

And homesite shelters for numbers various.

Then festival tents same.

Some are super spendy lightweight technical creations.

Others more robust festival sorts for just kicking about , slightly pee'd up in a field.

Oh then there's the bivvy bags, and tarps.

None of it gets left behind, and most people used to camping in the wilds these days still practice 'leave no trace'

Yes there has been an upsurge in mess left by ignorant campers over lockdown.

But a lot of these people just don't seem to understand the impact of what they are doing.

Some festivals are really tidy afterwards, if the litter pickers are on it, and the punters are the more mindful sort.

Where tents are left behind they are often recycled for use at refugee camps and the like..

Not ideal - I agree, things should be built and bought to last, but at least they often do get reused.

DRM

Guru
As I put earlier, what’s left behind, and what’s actually salvageable is two separate things, burnt gear, needles left behind, and shoot smeared everywhere made it pointless a journey from the suburbs of Leeds, never mind a 160 mile round trip from Hull, be under no illusions, security get first dibs on everything, and no charity gets that gear.

Top Bottom