About time I lost some weight, but how do I do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm 6'2" (188cm) and weigh 11.5 stone.

I want to slim down in the waist area but don't know how to do it.

I've cut all the crap down what I used to eat.

1. Chocolate digestives
2. Chocolate digestives with peanut butter
3. Chocolate digestives with peanut butter and choc spread
4. Worked in a chocolate factory for 9 years and ate a lot of their products, as well as fudge!!!!
5. Chocolate biscuits ie Penguins

I'm either sitting at the computer all day, every day or I'm out fishing.

I don't want to go to a gym. I want to get on the bike more often. I cycled 14 times over 6 days while in Scotland last week, and is urging me to go out more often now that I'm back home.

I eat cereal and have a drink of tea every day, a sandwich, pastie, or soup for lunch and a dinner at tea. I've cut down drinking a lot of coffee each day, and now I'm drinking tea or more water.
I used to drink lots of water when I was going to work.

I don't drink juice any more.

I've been thinking about going all raw fruit, I got the idea from Freelee the Banana Girl but not sure about it.

ScotiaLass

Guru
A balanced diet and exercise will do the trick...lots of water is good too.
It's changing habits, not following faddy 'diets' - they don't work and you end up putting any weight loss back on.
Be consistent and be aware that products that look healthy are often high in fat (some so called healthy bars for example).
Don't obsess but be aware :smile:

Kies

It sounds like you have the diet side of things sorted. Now just ride the bike as often as you can. It really isn't complex.
Start doing short frequent rides and increase the time spent out on the bke when you can.
A great way is to cycle commute

OP
OP
F
That seems a good weight for your height. I would suggest you need to tone up whilst eating a balanced diet rather than lose weight.

I used to be slimmer and I can't even put my cycling shorts on because I've gained weight!!!

Even my sister and a lass from work has called me fat !!

Julia9054

Guru
Metabolism slows as we get older and, for blokes in particular, if you are used to being a skinny teenage and 20 something shape, 30s is a time for putting on a bit of weight. You are right to cut out all the chocolate crap. Try eating more fruit and veg and cutting back on booze (if you need to). More cycling is obviously great for overall fitness but you could try exercises to bulk up your upper body which will balance out any weight carried around your middle.

400bhp

Guru
Obviously a lot depends upon how you carry it, but 6'2" and 11.5 stone is pretty skinny in my book.

simon.r

Person
I'm 6'2", 13 stone and I get called skinny! I'm not and I'd love to lose 1/2 a stone or so, but at 11 1/2 stone I'd suggest that your question should perhaps be 'how do I change my body shape?' rather than 'how do I lose weight?'

Although I don't know what the answer is!:sad:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
6' 2" and 11.5 stone seems pretty good to me. If you want to cut down on snacks, eating porridge for breakfast will take the edge off your hunger for a good few hours. It's also very good for your heart, amongst other things.

Good luck.

MikeG

Guru
Intermittent fasting is your answer.

The problem with ordinary diets is that there is never any end. Every day is a diet day, and you control every last thing you eat. If you do the 5:2 diet, then you are only ever one day away from being able to eat what you want. It is a very effective tool, is easy, has lasting health benefits aside from the lost weight. Once you get to your target weight, swap to 6:1 (ie reduced intake for 1 day per week), and you'll hold the same weight whatever you eat. Dead easy, and very effective.

PK99

Legendary Member
Intermittent fasting is your answer.

The problem with ordinary diets is that there is never any end. Every day is a diet day, and you control every last thing you eat. If you do the 5:2 diet, then you are only ever one day away from being able to eat what you want. It is a very effective tool, is easy, has lasting health benefits aside from the lost weight. Once you get to your target weight, swap to 6:1 (ie reduced intake for 1 day per week), and you'll hold the same weight whatever you eat. Dead easy, and very effective.

+1

It works and is easy.

Ganymede

Veteran
What is your target weight? Do you have one?

Look at your BMI - yours is 20.7 where 18.5 is labelled underweight and 25 is labelled overweight. Your weight sounds extremely healthy to me.

Top Bottom