About time I lost some weight, but how do I do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F
The calories on a cycle computer are a waste of time aren't they? I mean you can't pedal for the length of time you're out cycling. And it depends on how long you've been out cycling, providing that you're moving and your cycle computer is swtiched on.

When I go back to work I think I may consider cycling there and back. 12miles one way. But I need to know where to put/lock up my bike first.

vickster

Legendary Member
Estimate 30-40 calories per mile of reasonable effort

To lose weight around middle, give up booze and minimise sugar apparently :smile: And do core work, crunches (no not crunchies ;) ) and all that malarkey

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Either the OP is on a wind up, or had a serious image problem and should see a doctor.

Even when I was in my prime playing various sports at uni virtually every day and competing to a reasonably high level at Judo I was was 5'11"(still am 20 odd years on) and fought at 11st 3oz (now a stone heavier) and I was extremely skinny fit and toned. I think I briefly got to 11 st dead and looked gaunt.

vickster

Legendary Member
What size is your waist? Probably best is to get to the gym and start that core work unfortunately. If you have a BMI of 20, weight loss isn't what you need, maybe toning

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
I'm 6'2" (188cm) and weigh 11.5 stone.

I want to slim down in the waist area but don't know how to do it.

I've cut all the crap down what I used to eat.

1. Chocolate digestives
2. Chocolate digestives with peanut butter
3. Chocolate digestives with peanut butter and choc spread
4. Worked in a chocolate factory for 9 years and ate a lot of their products, as well as fudge!!!!
5. Chocolate biscuits ie Penguins

I'm either sitting at the computer all day, every day or I'm out fishing.

I don't want to go to a gym. I want to get on the bike more often. I cycled 14 times over 6 days while in Scotland last week, and is urging me to go out more often now that I'm back home.

I eat cereal and have a drink of tea every day, a sandwich, pastie, or soup for lunch and a dinner at tea. I've cut down drinking a lot of coffee each day, and now I'm drinking tea or more water.
I used to drink lots of water when I was going to work.

I don't drink juice any more.

I've been thinking about going all raw fruit, I got the idea from Freelee the Banana Girl but not sure about it.
Im vegan, durianrider* freelee, do what they do. Ps you're bmi is hoofing low. Drop more fat from your diet and replace with carbs.

vickster

Legendary Member
You eat cake, chocolate etc, are you sure it's all dairy and egg free? That's kind of the definition of vegan, not just skipping meat and fish and eating lots of bananas ;)

jarlrmai

Veteran
What size is your waist? Probably best is to get to the gym and start that core work unfortunately. If you have a BMI of 20, weight loss isn't what you need, maybe toning

Just an FYI you cant spot target fat loss. You just have to diet/exercise the last place it will come off on most blokes is the belly.

That said the key stat here is waist size, either he was beanpole thin before and wants that back or he's oddly shaped as the weight/height seem fine to me.

HeroesFitness

Just an FYI you cant spot target fat loss. You just have to diet/exercise the last place it will come off on most blokes is the belly.

That said the key stat here is waist size, either he was beanpole thin before and wants that back or he's oddly shaped as the weight/height seem fine to me.
Nice to see that someone has some sense on fat loss :-)

michaelcycle

Are you sure you actually want to lose weight or is it your body composition you want to improve in reality (the ratio of muscle to fat you currently hold.)

Improving your body composition may involve you actually putting on weight (fat free mass as opposed to fat mass) or keeping it the same which may involve a trade off with your cycling performance if that is your bag. If that is the case then reasonable calorie deficit, reasonable protein intake, some form of periodised resistance training as well (which may take time away from your cycling *gasp*)

I have to say this thread is making me feel like a right bloater though...

I used to be slimmer and I can't even put my cycling shorts on because I've gained weight!!!

Even my sister and a lass from work has called me fat !!
Are you sure her calling you fat doesn't contain a degree of irony. Think Lofty in It Ain't Half Hot Mum or Curly from the Harlem Globetrotters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom