About time I lost some weight, but how do I do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Are you 11.5 stone (73kg) as you said here on the 25th May - About time I lost some weight, but how do I do it?

or 154kg (24.25 stone) as you said here on the 9th May - Which bike... mountain, hybrid or road? ?
I would take a guess that he meant 154 pounds which is 11 stone, and has put on a few pounds since then, which is what he is trying to lose?

KneesUp

Guru
I would take a guess that he meant 154 pounds which is 11 stone, and has put on a few pounds since then, which is what he is trying to lose?
Aha - being of the metric persuasion it didn't even occur to me that 154lbs would be about 11 stone. What were they smoking when they came up with imperial measures?

ColinJ

As a matter of interest ... I am 6' 1", currently weigh about 12.5 stone and still have a fair amount of flab round my waist. I am not a skinny build, so I can imagine that a naturally skinny person of that height might be slightly flabby.

ColinJ

Aha - being of the metric persuasion it didn't even occur to me that 154lbs would be about 11 stone. What were they smoking when they came up with imperial measures?
I have been comparing metric measures, imperial measures and US measures recently which gets really confusing! Not only are US gallons not the same as ours, and their tons not the same as ours (well, they have 'short' tons and 'long' tons) but they even have two different types of pint - the solid pint and the liquid pint! :wacko:

To be honest for me when I lost weight a while ago all I did was run, I got a Garmin 910XT and then downloaded the 5k training program (heart rate level 1) to my watch and followed that, at the start I was so unfit I could hardly run but by the end of it my weight was back to being spot on and I could put in some good 5k times. At the end I also found I could eat almost anything I wanted within reason and still not put on any weight as long as I kept running.

I think of the two running is far superior to cycling in terms of time required to lose weight - less time and more weight loss (at least for me), but personally I prefer cycling way more than running.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'm 5'11" and 72kgs and can still "pinch an inch" as they used to say on the adverts. I can understand where the OP is coming from, that tummy fat is bugger to shift!
I've got to say, though, that no one has called me fat:wacko:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I'm 6'2" (188cm) and weigh 11.5 stone.

I want to slim down in the waist area but don't know how to do it.
Hhmmm, not making any friends here. I dream of being 11.5 stone. I also dream of being 30 again. Heigh ho.

+1 on the intermittent fasting thing. I'm looking in to that myself.
It also sounds like toning up could be the way to go. Are you anti swimming pools as well as being anti-gym? Swimming is a great toning exercise, cycle to and from and your are sorted.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
If I were you I would be looking to tone up, rather than lose weight. I'm just over 6ft and would consider myself too skinny if I was 11 stone....unless you are missing some limbs?

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Further to my previous post, this morning I was 3.9kg down on where I started 4 weeks ago and this afternoon I beat my PR up Swain's Lane by 8s.

I still have 2s to go to beat the best women's time (a girl I used to work with), and 18s to go to beat my friend Andy. Extrapolating, I estimate I'll need to be the weight I was when I was 14 to beat him.

I think I look and feel better, too, as well as smashing it on the bike. :smile:

ColinJ

Hhmmm, not making any friends here. I dream of being 11.5 stone. I also dream of being 30 again. Heigh ho.

+1 on the intermittent fasting thing. I'm looking in to that myself.
I wouldn't really fancy being 30 again (too intense!), but I wouldn't mind being 40 and starting again from there. Still, 60 is looming up so I will have to get used to the idea that I am getting old-ish and live with that!

5:2 'fasting' works for me. I lost 2 stone due to illness, but put half of that back on when I started eating proper meals again. I then adopted the 5:2 approach and lost 3 stone in the following 18 months without any effort at all on the 5 normal days a week. I am not even fanatical on the 2 fasting days, but do try to keep the calorie intake well below 1,000 cals on those days, typically 600-700 cals.

Today is one of those fasting days - a banana, 6 strawberries, a teaspoon of honey and about 150 g of low fat natural yoghurt this morning; a salad with a tin of tuna (in brine) in about an hours time. Oh, and I had another teaspoon of honey in a large coffee this afternoon, and ate a small apple at 3 pm. I ate what I wanted yesterday, and I will eat what I want tomorrow and that includes cake and chocolate! :thumbsup:

stephec

Legendary Member
Seriously you need to stick some photos up if you want an opinion on how you look. I can't see how you can be fat with those measurements.

I'm 5'9" and 13st, and some people think I'm slim because I don't have a lot of fat on me.

Top Bottom