About time I lost some weight, but how do I do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Bradley Wiggins is a similar height and weight to you.

Ganymede

Veteran
I also recommend the 5-2 diet btw for the same reasons as stated above by previous users of the method.

No criticism David, maybe you come from a skinny family! - but I would definitely set yourself a target weight. I think what people are saying is that from the info you've given, you don't seem overweight, so they're somewhat puzzled.

OP
OP
F
Last year I noticed that I was getting fat. I knew this even before someone from work said it to me that I'm fat. Even my sister called me fat and that I should go to the gym.

I hate the way I look (it's not just you women!) and I want to be slim again. I want to be able to put my cycling shorts and work trousers on with no hassle.

The 5:2 diet seems good :thumbsup:

Edit: This might be a daft question, but how many litres of water should I be drinking a day?

RedRider

Pulling through
Last year I noticed that I was getting fat. I knew this even before someone from work said it to me that I'm fat. Even my sister called me fat and that I should go to the gym.

I hate the way I look (it's not just you women!) and I want to be slim again. I want to be able to put my cycling shorts and work trousers on with no hassle.

The 5:2 diet seems good :thumbsup:

Edit: This might be a daft question, but how many litres of water should I be drinking a day?
Maybe get some advice at your GP's. Most surgeries have a dietician attached.

Ganymede

Veteran

The figure is usually quoted at 2 litres, but dieticians stress that this includes liquid taken in food (eg gravy, juice within whole fruit or veg) as well as tea, coffee, milk, beer and so forth. So do not just add 2 litres of drinking water to your diet! The best way to know if you are getting enough water in your diet is to look at your urine - a light straw colour is indicative of good hydration.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I started using myfitnesspal to track what I was eating. I used to eat anything and everything, no control.. Using the app has forced me to think about what I'm eating, so I'm at least thinking twice about a bar of chocolate.

I've steadily put on weight since my mid to late 20s (now mid 40s). I started dieting around 91 -92 kg (6 foot 3), and want to get back down to 82kg. I reckon that will be around 14% body fat, as opposed to the ~ 25% that I started the diet at. I've lost 3.5kg in 3 weeks. I haven't really increased the amount of riding I've been doing, though I have seen some improvements there.

I really am looking forward to getting back to a maintenance calorie count, I must say. I'm not too sure I'd recommend it, even though it is working for me. I'm pretty hungry all the time. 1910 calories a day doesn't seem like much sometimes :smile:. It's really the first time I've made any sort of change in my eating habits, so I'm sure there are many alternatives to calorie counting.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Some fatherly advice David. Don't diet, it will become a lifelong addiction. Instead, eat sensibly and eat the right type of foodstuffs - we all know what those are by now!

Without knowing you, can't really see how you're over-weight. Perhaps you merely need a little conditioning - achieved by exercise not diet!

Exercise more, increase your metabolism and perhaps add a little muscle density. Do that and not only will you look thinner whilst maintaining the same weight, the extra muscle mass and raised metabolism will enable you to eat more without gaining weight.

Much better than dieting any day of the week! :rolleyes:

KneesUp

Guru
I'm 6ft on a tall day, and consider myself to be a comfortable weight at 75kg/11st 11lb (which I am now) but I've been up to 85kg/13st 5lb.

I know though that how 'healthy' that feels can vary. When I was 75kg as a 25 year-old I used to go to the gym and play football, so I had much more muscle and less fat than I do now. I was a compact and solid 75kg, and now I am a slightly soft 75kg I suppose. The differences are slim though - I used to wear 30" trousers but they weren't so comfortable as my 32" waist trousers. Now I cant quite get into the 30" ones, but the 32" feel a big baggy.

You are 2 to 3 inches taller than me, and weigh 4lb less than me so you cannot be 'fat' You may though have a gut - my brother was the same at one point - naturally slim but didn't do much exercise so he developed a little paunch despite being very lean everywhere else. I guess this is what you have, hence the healthy weight but tight trousers and looking 'fat' to some people?

Just ride your bike more, you'll soon lose it. My brother starting running and it went soon. You might also think of investing in something like this chin-up bar
which you can also use for press-ups and so on; it will help tone up your core and your shoulders. Chin ups are great for developing your deltoids (the muscles that make the 'V' shape from your arm pits) which makes you look a shape that is considered by society to be healthier.

Ride your bike four or five times a week and do chin ups and press ups (3 'sets' until you can't do any more) four or five times a week, and by the end of summer you will be amazed.

Ganymede

Veteran
Some fatherly advice David. Don't diet, it will become a lifelong addiction. Instead, eat sensibly and eat the right type of foodstuffs - we all know what those are by now!

Without knowing you, can't really see how you're over-weight. Perhaps you merely need a little conditioning - achieved by exercise not diet!

Exercise more, increase your metabolism and perhaps add a little muscle density. Do that and not only will you look thinner whilst maintaining the same weight, the extra muscle mass and raised metabolism will enable you to eat more without gaining weight.

Much better than dieting any day of the week! :rolleyes:

I have to say David, I think this might be very good advice, as is KneesUp's similar message just above. Muscle, conditioning, strength, and consequent healthiness are far better measures than weight alone, and all very desirable in themselves as we mature. I know you've felt a bit taken aback but some of the comments on this thread but there's a lot of experience here and a lot of good will.

Top Bottom