Absolute Beginner - looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rowan 46

Über Member
I saw somebody riding a muddy fox he'd had it for 15 years and used it for his commute of about 4 miles round trip he was happy with it for his needs. Plenty of people are perfectly happy with cheap bikes for them it does the job.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Your reply to another poster on this forum advocating a muddy fox was "looks like a blast".
It seems like your judgements are as consistent as your memory allows.
That was before I had the displeasure oe working on and test riding one. It actually goes to provd my point about not fit for purpose. It looks like something it isn't.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I saw somebody riding a muddy fox he'd had it for 15 years and used it for his commute of about 4 miles round trip he was happy with it for his needs. Plenty of people are perfectly happy with cheap bikes for them it does the job.
Ffs cheap does not equate to BSO. BSO'S are cheap, there is a difference! OOI Why are you on a cycling forum if you think that people who dislike BSO's are snobs?

apollo179

That was before I had the displeasure oe working on and test riding one. It actually goes to provd my point about not fit for purpose. It looks like something it isn't.
Sorry no U turns please.
And please sound your siren when you reverse (may i suggest the sound of you quietly sobbing would be appropriate)
Keep digging at the rate your going and youl reach australia in no time.
The case for the prosecution rests.

rowan 46

Über Member
Ffs cheap does not equate to BSO. BSO'S are cheap, there is a difference! OOI Why are you on a cycling forum if you think that people who dislike BSO's are snobs?

Because I think the term bso is snobbish I don't have a problem with people disliking bad bikes it is after all a cycling forum. I think a bad bike is a bad bike its dependant on its usage a mountain bike that can't be used on a mountain is a bad mountain bike but it will get you from a-b reasonably comfortably providing you don't go a great distance the same as a pinnacle road bike is a dreadful bike if you want to off road down a mountain on it the term bso doesn't explain to a new person what is bad about the bike as they are rarely unusable, I have seen many people riding them

abo

No. Default judgement on anyone who would suggest a Muddy Fox on a cycling forum.

Poor Muddyfox, on their website they do appear to make some reasonable-looking, value bikes. Can't recall seeing anything other than the cheap and nasty ones in my local Tesco extra though. I've had a look around the web and other places seem to be the same, with the better bikes being mail-order or available online only presumably because the shops would rather turn over a high volume of the real bottom end stuff.

No-one (I know, anyway) is going to throw down £400 or more and take a gamble on a mail order bike, they'd rather go into a shop and at least look at one and sit on it. Which means either a Carrera or Voodoo from Halfords or (in my town) a Cube Aim from the LBS here.

abo

'Muddy Fox' and Muddyfox are *not* the same thing. Muddy Fox were one-time producers of quality BMX's and MTB's. They were bought by BSO manufacturers Universal Cycles and were re-launched as 'Muddyfox', presumably in an attempt to buy a heritage and inject an illusion of quality into their product.

And can you get off this 'cheap bike' thing. It has been explained, over and over, that cheap bike does not = BSO...

apollo179

'Muddy Fox' and Muddyfox are *not* the same thing. Muddy Fox were one-time producers of quality BMX's and MTB's. They were bought by BSO manufacturers Universal Cycles and were re-launched as 'Muddyfox', presumably in an attempt to buy a heritage and inject an illusion of quality into their product.

And can you get off this 'cheap bike' thing. It has been explained, over and over, that cheap bike does not = BSO...

Interesting background info.
The 2 bikes refered to by myself above were both Muddyfox so im afraid it does not help the case for the defence.
Interesting nevertheless.

abo

Interesting background info.
The 2 bikes refered to by myself above were both Muddyfox so im afraid it does not help the case for the defence.
Interesting nevertheless.

If it were really 15 years old then it'd be a Muddy Fox, they were bought in 2002 and rebranded in 2003.

edit: I'm getting my posters mixed up... You're right, those bikes you referenced are Muddyfox and that one for £80 doesn't sound great. Dunno about the other one, didn't notice it.

apollo179

If it were really 15 years old then it'd be a Muddy Fox, they were bought in 2002 and rebranded in 2003.

edit: I'm getting my posters mixed up... You're right, those bikes you referenced are Muddyfox and that one for £80 doesn't sound great. Dunno about the other one, didn't notice it.

Page 5 of this topic.
Corshamjim offers us ; http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-phatsta-city-bike-933042
The £80 muddyfox that i naively suggested isnt going to win the tdf admittedly but you can bet lots of people are going to have lots of fun on them (just dont tell them its a bso and spoil their fun - ssshhh)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Page 5 of this topic.
Corshamjim offers us ; http://www.sportsdir...ity-bike-933042
The £80 muddyfox that i naively suggested isnt going to win the tdf admittedly but you can bet lots of people are going to have lots of fun on them (just dont tell them its a bso and spoil their fun - ssshhh)

Now the city bike looks OK apart from being rather heavy 13kg. It is what is says it is and I think will do what it is supposed to do.

abo

Page 5 of this topic.
Corshamjim offers us ; http://www.sportsdir...ity-bike-933042

Yep, don't see why someone wouldn't have fun on that bike and I can't see much to go wrong on it; my only reservation is if the brake levers are made of plastic then the bit where the barrel adjuster screws into will break fairly quickly, so all the adjustment will be on the other end of the cable.

And on a personal note I'm not sure about that black plastic cover on the chainstay, it just looks horrible on what is supposed to be a stylish bike. They should have just made it a single speed :biggrin:

Top Bottom