Absolute Beginner - looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My Ridgeback velocity has a quill stem and quite a few other bikes do on its own its not a bad thing but putting all the other things described and its a BSO. Briefly riding a bike doesn't tell you much about it IMHO :smile:
Is the Ridgeback a MTB? I know Town Bikes use them a lot and on such bikes they are not an issue. On a MTB [ridden of road] one is forever having to realign the wheel and bars.

Is the Ridgeback a MTB? I know Town Bikes use them a lot and on such bikes they are not an issue. On a MTB [ridden of road] one is forever having to realign the wheel and bars.

My velocity is a town bike but Ridgeback make a range of bikes from mtb to tourer but I wouln't be surprise if their Mtb's have aheadsets.:smile:

Edit: it doesnt look like they've change much since I bought mine.

apollo179

Appolo - It is sold as a MTB. It is not one. It is a BSO. Quill stems on a MTB are like cross ply tyres on a car.

Regardless of nomenclature.
These cheap rubbish bikes are what we all learnt on and what , apart from the lofty few with their £xK bikes, they are what most people use today. These cheap rubbish bikes are in fact the life blood of cycling and it dosnt behove anyone to sneer at them.
For you or i to deride cheap bikes is like the queen turning to prince philip and saying about you or me - look at that man in his grotty little hso. Earth to queen - thats how we all live and it dosnt behove us to throw stones in our own shared glasshouse.
I just think some degree of respect and acknowledgement is due.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
These cheap rubbish bikes are what we all learnt on and what , apart from the lofty few with their £xK bikes, they are what most people use today. These cheap rubbish bikes are in fact the life blood of cycling and it dosnt behove anyone to sneer at them.
For you or i to deride cheap bikes is like the queen turning to prince philip and saying about you or me - look at that man in his grotty little hso. Earth to queen - thats how we all live and it dosnt behove us to throw stones in our own shared glasshouse.
I refuse to give any respect to a bike that is made to look like something it is not. It is not fit for purpose as a MTB. As for snobbary I have a £200 road bike that is not a BSO and a £1400 MTB. Price is not the issue. Fitness for purpose is. If it akin to a festival tent. You can get one for under £20 and are great, until it rains and you realise why you should have paid for a double skined tent.

abo

****in hell here we go again, can we get off it in this thread please? We all did it to death last week...

apollo179

****in hell here we go again, can we get off it in this thread please? We all did it to death last week...
We all thought it was dead but like Arnold Schzwartsenager in the terminator its come back to life. Everybody run for your lives.
Astella vista afs.

Top Bottom