Absolute Beginner - looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Evil Rabbit

Not really sure I can do the cycle to work scheme as I wont be using it to commute - I think a 50 mile round trip just isn't achievable.
There is no actual rule or check that it has to be used for commuting. I would have thought less than half the bikes bought on the scheme are!

OP
OP
N

NeilEB

My work scheme says it has to be used for at least 50% of your commute.

Anyway it's a bit moot as I hope to be changing job (and country) soon, so wouldn't be able to pay it back.

And I've ordered this one:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/dew-city-frr-2011-hybrid-bike-ec027215?query=kona

Waiting for it to be delivered and I'll take it out for a test ride

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Are you serious? If so what experience do you have of this bike that you can recommend it. It looks no different to any other nasty cheap bike to me.

Mickle You are 100% right it is a BSO. I have had the displeasure of having to tinker with one of these. Same build quality as a Asda bike, cheese metal, made from lead.

This is the full spec.

Muddyfox Turbulent 26 inch Mountain Bike - Men's.
If you are looking to go off-road, trail riding or just want a reliable and versatile bike for getting round town this hardtail Mountain Bike is perfect. The Muddyfox Turbulent Mountain Bike has a front suspension fork for a smoother ride.

• Blue steel frame.
  • 21 gears with twist-grip shifters.
  • Shimano gears.
  • Front V-type and rear V-type brakes.
  • Front suspension.
  • Weight fully assembled 18kg.
  • 66cm / 26 inch wheel size.
  • Suitable from 74 to 89cm inside leg measurement.
  • Mountain bike style tyres.
  • Adjustable handlebar height.
  • Adjustable seat height.
Additional features:

General information:

• Some assembly required to fit front wheel, adjust brakes, fit pedals, saddle and handlebars.
  • Click on image for a video of assembly instructions.
  • Tools and instructions included.

Mickle You are 100% right it is a BSO. I have had the displeasure of having to tinker with one of these. Same build quality as a Asda bike, cheese metal, made from lead.

This is the full spec.

Muddyfox Turbulent 26 inch Mountain Bike - Men's.
If you are looking to go off-road, trail riding or just want a reliable and versatile bike for getting round town this hardtail Mountain Bike is perfect. The Muddyfox Turbulent Mountain Bike has a front suspension fork for a smoother ride.

• Blue steel frame.
  • 21 gears with twist-grip shifters.
  • Shimano gears.
  • Front V-type and rear V-type brakes.
  • Front suspension.
  • Weight fully assembled 18kg.
  • 66cm / 26 inch wheel size.
  • Suitable from 74 to 89cm inside leg measurement.
  • Mountain bike style tyres.
  • Adjustable handlebar height.
  • Adjustable seat height.
Additional features:

General information:

• Some assembly required to fit front wheel, adjust brakes, fit pedals, saddle and handlebars.
  • Click on image for a video of assembly instructions.
  • Tools and instructions included.
Its a very good bike, a very good example of a BSO on its plus side though it does have a
Adjustable seat height.
:ohmy:

Yaz

Erm, isn't that how kids learn to read these days? My son's only 3 so not reading just yet

My grandaughter was riding her 2 wheeler just after her 4th birthday and although I thought my daughter was daft spending so much money on a balance bike but it certainly gave her the confidence. She is 5 years old and now cycles regularly with her dad and its so lovely to see.

apollo179

Are you serious? If so what experience do you have of this bike that you can recommend it. It looks no different to any other nasty cheap bike to me.

Mickle - ive briefly rode one and for a cheap bike i thought it was ok thats why i posted. You may be right compared to what most on this forum ride it isnt very good.
However good or bad, what i dont understand is why owners of expensive bikes feel to the need to mock and deride cheap bikes.
Personally i think its fine if the public enjoys the experience of cycling on an old cheap bike and i think its also fine if mr "serious" cyclists enjoys dressing up in lycra and pretending hes Eddie Merkyx for the afternoon.
Re quill stems - wiki says "they remain standard on the majority of utility bikes regardless of price as well as less expensive sport bikes and higher-end retro bikes."
So tbh i dont get the joke.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Mickle - ive briefly rode one and for a cheap bike i thought it was ok thats why i posted. You may be right compared to what most on this forum ride it isnt very good.
However good or bad, what i dont understand is why owners of expensive bikes feel to the need to mock and deride cheap bikes.
Personally i think its fine if the public enjoys the experience of cycling on an old cheap bike and i think its also fine if mr "serious" cyclists enjoys dressing up in lycra and pretending hes Eddie Merkyx for the afternoon.
Re quill stems - wiki says "they remain standard on the majority of utility bikes regardless of price as well as less expensive sport bikes and higher-end retro bikes."
So tbh i dont get the joke.
Appolo - It is sold as a MTB. It is not one. It is a BSO. Quill stems on a MTB are like cross ply tyres on a car.

Top Bottom