Absolute Beginner - looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

NeilEB

I agree. Learning to ride with stabilizers is like learning to read by phonetics.

Erm, isn't that how kids learn to read these days? My son's only 3 so not reading just yet

abo

Not necessarily, it could be your son's current bike with the pedals removed. :thumbsup:

Heh that's what we did with my daughter in the end, whipped the stabilizers and the pedals off. She was riding without stabilizers (with pedals) that same day. Hence we avoided them completely for my youngest and went for a balance bike

OP
OP
N

NeilEB

Stretch your budget.........2011 Kona Dew £225 (£100 off) @ Evans

Don't faff about with inferior rubbish, please.

You mean this one ?
Tiny bit more then I wanted to spend, but I'll take a look at it when I go to Evans in a few hours.

What say the rest of you?

Oh, also definitely looking at the balance bike for my son - we were looking at youtube videos today and he seems keen. Any idea why they range from £30 to over £100?

I agree. Learning to ride with stabilizers is like learning to read by phonetics.

Dident do me eny harm.

RossM

OP - have you looked into whether your work do a cycle to work scheme ? Would enable you to increase your budget without actually spending more money - sounds weird I know but look into it.

If you're not sure if you're going to enjoy it, why not ask around about borrowing a bike. loads of people have bikes knocking around in garages that are never used. That way you can find out if you enjoy it without spending any money !

OP
OP
N

NeilEB

Not really sure I can do the cycle to work scheme as I wont be using it to commute - I think a 50 mile round trip just isn't achievable.

Top Bottom