Absolute Beginner - looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apollo179

Mine or yours :biggrin:
Lets leave that open to debvate.
If all this has proven one thing then it has to be that the term bso is not appropriate to use with newbies - it is not helpful and just serves to confuses. Imho the term, if it has to be used at all should only be used between cycling supremicists in private behind closed doors.
And good luck with the bike searching neil - dont be deterred.

OP
OP
N

NeilEB

To be honest, whilst the term BSO might not be helpful, the idea to steer well clear of Tesco's is very helpful, as that was one of my next questions!

Ok, so I'm thinking that rather then buy a cheap brand new bike, it might be better to go for a 'better' second hand bike - getting more for my money? As long as the seller is reputable? That's part of my issue, not trusting second hand purchases!!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
To be honest, whilst the term BSO might not be helpful, the idea to steer well clear of Tesco's is very helpful, as that was one of my next questions!

Ok, so I'm thinking that rather then buy a cheap brand new bike, it might be better to go for a 'better' second hand bike - getting more for my money? As long as the seller is reputable? That's part of my issue, not trusting second hand purchases!!

Where do you live?

apollo179

Re - the issues involved in buying anything 2nd hand. Obviously helps if youve got a little experience with bikes but mainly its a case of common sense , checking it out etc , its not rocket science after all. People are still generally pretty honest and any faults should be either stated if known or if the bike is untested it will be stated that it is untested.
If you are not comfortable with buying 2nd hand and are happy to spend £100 + then you might be best advised to have a look at what decathalon offer.
The 2nd hand bike you will prospectively be buying may well be from someone who didnt fancy buying 2nd hand so went out and bought a new one and then found they didnt like cycling after all = bargain for somebody.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Re - the issues involved in buying anything 2nd hand. Obviously helps if youve got a little experience with bikes but mainly its a case of common sense , checking it out etc , its not rocket science after all. People are still generally pretty honest and any faults should be either stated if known or if the bike is untested it will be stated that it is untested.
If you are not comfortable with buying 2nd hand and are happy to spend £100 + then you might be best advised to have a look at what decathalon offer.
The 2nd hand bike you will prospectively be buying may well be from someone who didnt fancy buying 2nd hand so went out and bought a new one and then found they didnt like cycling after all = bargain for somebody.

This we agree on :smile:

apollo179

The ancient Taiwanese phalafeliser Confuseus say; If you're going to sit on a high horse make sure your saddle is at the right angle'
Unfortunately confuscious has cheap dodgy bso seat that wont stay in position. Confuscious try and fink of solution.

abo

Sounds like sensible advice to me. I've not bought a used bike (I've only bought one bike for myself lol) but I have been looking around.

Personally I say find one you like the look of, then come back on here and ask for opinions on it. You'll get a pretty honest and unbiased one I reckon. You might even get some advice as to what questions to ask the seller :biggrin:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Sounds like sensible advice to me. I've not bought a used bike (I've only bought one bike for myself lol) but I have been looking around.

Personally I say find one you like the look of, then come back on here and ask for opinions on it. You'll get a pretty honest and unbiased one I reckon. You might even get some advice as to what questions to ask the seller :biggrin:

Although there might be disagreement about those questions ;)

rowan 46

Über Member
The term hybrid may be a misnomer to cyclists but as it's a marketing term if you go into your local bike shop they will know what you mean. We have had a thread about cheap bikes and their problems and it was generally agreed if they are set up by a bike shop you will get some service from them. If you go to one of the smaller bike shops you may get something for the price but I will add this proviso it will not be a great bike. the quality of a bike is dependant on the quality of its components. Your price will not allow for quality components. as to 2nd hand if you are a rank beginner it's tricky buying from ebay as you don't know if it fits, it's difficult to spot whether it's properly maintained. the problem is if it's a good one on ebay you will have lots of bidders on it so you will not get it for the best price io you need to be pretty aufait with bikes to get a good one for a good price on ebay. Go to your bike shop see what fits get the the most expensive you can afford at your price point. You will not get a great bike but you will get one that fits, one that's set up properly and a guarantee of 12 months this will give you time to assess whether cycling is for you.

Top Bottom