Absolute Beginner - looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My favourite sub-200 bike at the moment is this one:

http://www.sportsdir...ity-bike-933042

Not a lot to go wrong there and I should think would be a lot of fun.

Not sure about "Available in a 19 inch frame size. Suitable for inside leg: 28 - 35 inches."
Other than that I agree it looks like a blast :smile:

apollo179

Neil
Eg :
Ebay
item number: 280705581744
21 inch frame 26 inch wheels.
might be a bit farther than youd want to go from bhwood.
Probably sell for £20 to £25 because of tdf - otherwise £10 to £15 .
Nothing to do with me i hasten to point out.

apollo179

Sounds like sensible advice to me. I've not bought a used bike (I've only bought one bike for myself lol) but I have been looking around.

Personally I say find one you like the look of, then come back on here and ask for opinions on it. You'll get a pretty honest and unbiased one I reckon. You might even get some advice as to what questions to ask the seller :biggrin:
What do you think ?
Ebay

Norm

From a technical point of view, I'm sure you're correct. But given the broad range of bikes that are available, the term has meaning for beginners/newbies like myself who don't know the difference between the different makes and models and who simply want "a bike". It might be a marketing ploy, but if it gets people on their bikes, surely it's a good thing?
No, IMO, because it covers too broad a range. Say hybrid and some will see something with 45mm tyres and suspension whereas others will see 25mm tyres and bars about 300mm wide.

The term hybrid may be a misnomer to cyclists but as it's a marketing term if you go into your local bike shop they will know what you mean.
The word" hybrid" is used for such a diverse range of bikes that it is completely meaningless - just about anything with flat bars has been called a hybrid, from a lightweight racing frame with 23mm tyres and no gears to a heavy duty unsuspended MTB with chunky 45mm rubber.

Avoid the word and you will avoid the confusion.

Here's something I've posted previously. Check out the three bikes in the link, all described as "hybrid"...
And the reason that I despise the word hybrid, which manages to be meaningless, useless and positively harmful at times. These three are all described as "hybrids" and they range from the Spec Crosstrail, a rigid mountain bike which would be good on all surfaces, to the Charge Mixer, which would struggle on even rough tarmac.

mightyquin

I was a 'returning after a long break and ignorant to latest cycle trends' newbie earlier this year. My immediate thought was just by a cheap MTB, so I can understand why lots of newbies think that way, but I read up some on forums and the like and spoke to a few LBS's and soon changed my mind.

I was wary of buying s/h for the same reasons, i.e. not knowing if I'd be buying a decent bike, spotting faults etc., but after narrowing my choice down to a few models I happened to see one of the bikes going on e bay, not only that but it had some very nice upgrades too (wheels, carbon fork and seatpost) and I got it for a great price - so you can find bargains out there.

There are plenty of places that sell refurbished s/h bikes too, so you're buying from a dealer and have the same comeback as for a new bike - almost.

However, it's worth considering, if you end up keeping and using the bike regularly, the chances are that you will need to replace things like tyres, cables, wheels, brake pads, chain on your cheaper s/h bike, so bear the added longer term cost in mind.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I was a 'returning after a long break and ignorant to latest cycle trends' newbie earlier this year. My immediate thought was just by a cheap MTB, so I can understand why lots of newbies think that way, but I read up some on forums and the like and spoke to a few LBS's and soon changed my mind.

I was wary of buying s/h for the same reasons, i.e. not knowing if I'd be buying a decent bike, spotting faults etc., but after narrowing my choice down to a few models I happened to see one of the bikes going on e bay, not only that but it had some very nice upgrades too (wheels, carbon fork and seatpost) and I got it for a great price - so you can find bargains out there.

There are plenty of places that sell refurbished s/h bikes too, so you're buying from a dealer and have the same comeback as for a new bike - almost.

However, it's worth considering, if you end up keeping and using the bike regularly, the chances are that you will need to replace things like tyres, cables, wheels, brake pads, chain on your cheaper s/h bike SOONER, so bear the added longer term cost in mind.
FTFY :smile:

apollo179

Neil
Eg :
Ebay
21 inch frame 26 inch wheels.
might be a bit farther than youd want to go from bhwood.
Probably sell for £20 to £25 because of tdf - otherwise £10 to £15 .
Nothing to do with me i hasten to point out.
I overestimated sale price - sold for £8-27

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
For this money you cant go wrong.

OP
OP
N

NeilEB

I'm going to take a trip to Evans tomorrow to see what they recommend (need some stabilizers for my sons bike anyway).
No doubt I'll be back on here with more questions after that trip :-)

abo

(need some stabilizers for my sons bike anyway).

Nooo! They're the worst thing in the world, I reckon theyr eally did hold back my eldest two. My youngest is on a balance bike now and is getting ready to move onto his first pedal bike - without stabilizers.

Honestly, have a look at a balance bike instead :biggrin:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Nooo! They're the worst thing in the world, I reckon theyr eally did hold back my eldest two. My youngest is on a balance bike now and is getting ready to move onto his first pedal bike - without stabilizers.

Honestly, have a look at a balance bike instead :biggrin:
I agree. Learning to ride with stabilizers is like learning to read by phonetics.

Top Bottom