Absolute Beginner - looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The thing is, unless you've worked in a busy bike shop and witnessed the trouble that so very many people have with BSOs I'm not sure you can appreciate how much truth there is in the description.

Most of us regular bicyclists would agree that any bum on any bike seat is A Good Thing, the trouble is that cheap, heavy, unreliable and uncomfortable BSOs with shoot brakes tell newbies only that cycling is difficult, painful and dangerous.

shoot bikes - rather than encouraging people to cycle, actually makes the task of persuading people to ride bikes more difficult.

I agree - My neighbour is 20 years my junior. He goes to the gym a few days a week and rides back and fore. That is all he can ride however - After 4 mile his is exhausted. I am sure it is because he has a full sus BOS rather than his being completely unfit.

apollo179

Don;t think this is the place. We have a BSO thread do we not?
Indeed. Aplogies to all .

apollo179

I agree - My neighbour is 20 years my junior. He goes to the gym a few days a week and rides back and fore. That is all he can ride however - After 4 mile his is exhausted. I am sure it is because he has a full sus BOS rather than his being completely unfit.
I question that.
If i went to the gym i would feel nackered after 5 minutes but i cycled from watford to catford and back yesterday on my bso. I suspect people feel nackered when they feel like feeling nackered - the bike is a side issue.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I question that.
If i went to the gym i would feel nackered after 5 minutes but i cycled from watford to catford and back yesterday on my bso. I suspect people feel nackered when they feel like feeling nackered - the bike is a side issue.

I know the lad and his fitness level so I base the comment on that.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Ok.....

Now I'm more confused then ever.......

Neil. You have done the most important thing which is to define what type of riding you want to do. Either a Hybrid (or Town Bike) or a 2nd hand hardtail or rigid MTB will do you just fine. Do not buy cycling magazines as you will think you need to spend £1000's to achieve what you want to achieve. The chap who posted the bike for sale is in the ball park. At the end of the day it's what feels right to you.

Top Bottom