Absolute Disgusting......8 Month Jail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikmurray

Regular
this is so disgusting and makes mt blood boil

Michael Lundstram jailed for Susan Griffiths road death

A hit-and-run driver who left a woman dying in a road after colliding with her bicycle has been jailed for eight months.
Michael Lundstram, 29, of Llandudno, Conwy, admitted causing the death of mother-of-five Susan Griffiths, 47, in Dwygyfylchi while uninsured.
At Caernarfon Crown Court, he also admitted failing to stop after an accident and having two worn tyres.
In addition to jail, he was banned from driving for two-and-a-half years.

OP
OP
mikmurray

mikmurray

Regular

yello

He told the defendant: "Sentences for these offences can't remotely reflect the tragic consequences, nor are they intended to do so."

"Nor are they intended to do so"....

I dunno, I know what the law is saying (as there was seemingly "no evidence to suggest the standard of the defendant's driving fell short of that required") but something seems wrong doesn't it?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Goes to show how some judges interpret the law to protect drivers of vehicles, who for whatever reason end up killing other people.

Pauluk

Paulus said:
Goes to show how some judges interpret the law to protect drivers of vehicles, who for whatever reason end up killing other people.

I don't believe its judges protecting drivers, the whole damn system is too lenient. I honestly believe its more to do with costs and balancing the numbers. Prison over crowding costs the state a lot of money to fix, so reducing the man years of sentences keeps costs to bearable levels.

Perhaps I'm just too cynical and may be its just a consequence of a too liberal approach to justice. Punishment doesn't seem to solve crime so why bother, seems to be the popular view amongst the people who make decisions. Its just that everyone I talk to, friends, family, work colleagues all seem to think that there is little justice in the UK (and I should add Western Europe as well).

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
How can someone just released a few days earlier from prison (part of a 3 year sentence) be told he's going to be a dad?

????

In vitro fertilisation?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
The 8 month sentence is pathetic. Wouldn't the fact he killed someone and drove off be enough evidence that his driving (and subsequent actions) fell FAR below what a resonable person (cyclist) should expect of a competant driver?

Surely her family will be advised to challenge that abhorrent ruling through the 'unduly lenient sentence' process?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It is too easy to pick fault in sentences but as spectators/armchair experts we are not in full possession of the facts and personal circumstances behind the sentences dished out.

There is no room for sentiment when passing sentence nor is there a fixed tariff for each criminal act. We can be outraged and rail against what's perceived to be lenient and, at the opposite end of the scale, draconian sentencing but it isn't going to comfort the victim or the victim's family.

I admit to being sometimes perplexed by the sentences dished out and the apparent inequalities but I am not a lawyer and not fully au fait with the complete set of sentencing guidelines.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Could he have been charged with manslaughter seeing as he fled the scene instead of helping the victim? If he'd have phoned the emergency services immediately she might have survived,so he could've contributed to her death in more ways than one.

That was my thought exactly. He was only too aware that there was a casualty lying injured in the road so had he summoned immediate assistance, the damage may have been reduced. Instead, he chose to leave the casualty grievously injured to lie in greater jeopardy of further damage from other vehicles and ran away like a squealing rat to hide in the bushes while the victim of his criminality died. And then he gets benefit for admitting what he did 'at the earliest opportunity'? And they've accepted this? There was MUCH earlier opportunities for this rat to attempt to regain some credit and the fact he didn't should have been reflected in the laughably short sentence.

D

Deleted member 20519

I don't understand, why do they take such a 'relaxed' approach to these kind of cases? Surely if he shot her, he would be jailed for murder but because he hit her, 8 months?

Top Bottom