Absolute irresponsible? (Graphene)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm also a graphic designer.

That packaging looks nothing like "sweeties".

Responsible marketing and packaging is important, but you've gone off the deep end here OP.

It's also worth bearing in mind the burden of responsibility not to allow your children to eat things they shouldn't.

Which I appreciate can be difficult, but suggesting that AbsoluteBlack's packaging is "highly irresponsible" is a stretch.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm also a graphic designer.

That packaging looks nothing like "sweeties".
I'd disagree somewhat with that.

Chain lube wax blocks...

A box of chocolates...

They are close enough that there is little realistic doubt that a young kiddie might think they are yummy choc chocs. As you say, parents should leep an eye on their kiddies. Nevertheless, as thoughtful members of society we all habe a responsibility towards the vulnerable, chain lube vendors as much as parents.

And the OP is also correct about the environmental credentials. Oil is bad enough, but artificially constructed, non biodegradeable nano particles brings plastic pollution in the environment to new highs (or lows) of pollution insanity.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
I'd disagree somewhat with that.

Chain lube wax blocks...

View attachment 564451

A box of chocolates...

View attachment 564452

They are close enough that there is little realist doubt that a young kiddie might think they are yummy choc chocs. Mas you say, parents should leep an eye on their kiddies. Nevertheless, as thoughtful members of society we all habe a responsibility towards the vulnerable, chain lube vendors as much as parents.

They aren't particularly close in packaging terms, but then I appreciate I am looking at it from a designer's perspective. I've always been an advocate of ethical and sustainable design, which I don't see as being an issue here.

classic33

Leg End Member
Latest figures I could find were: the number of children mistakenly eating the washing machine and dishwasher capsules has fallen from 486 in 2010 to 404 in 2014. So, on average, more than one a day.
"Hospitals admitted nearly 1500 children last year following the accidental ingestion of liquitabs. Some of those admitted required ventilation in Intensive Care and a couple required re-constructive surgery."
https://firstaidforlife.org.uk/dishwasher-tablets-and-liquitabs-are-dangerous/

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Re the degreaser/gel-gate scandal.
If an adult is daft enough that drink degreaser they deserve all they get.
Re the Absoluteblack tabs (allegedly) looking like chocolate to kids,well any adult with kids and an ounce of common sense would keep the tabs where they keep other bike related solvents....locked away in a shed or garage. Unless of course you’re an adult who drinks degreaser then you shouldn’t be left alone with anything let alone have kids:laugh:

Last edited:
"Hospitals admitted nearly 1500 children last year following the accidental ingestion of liquitabs. Some of those admitted required ventilation in Intensive Care and a couple required re-constructive surgery."
https://firstaidforlife.org.uk/dishwasher-tablets-and-liquitabs-are-dangerous/
Dishwasher tabs are dangerous:laugh: So is bleach, it’s in a bottle which to a child looks like “drink” ... parents responsibility to care for them and how many of the above happened whilst they where at the back door having a fag or checking Facebook, Instagram, Twitter whilst gassing to mates on phone... oh I only took my eye off him for a second, he’s just started crawling and I never thought he would get that far :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
Dishwasher tabs are dangerous:laugh: So is bleach, it’s in a bottle which to a child looks like “drink” ... parents responsibility to care for them and how many of the above happened whilst they where at the back door having a fag or checking Facebook, Instagram, Twitter whilst gassing to mates on phone... oh I only took my eye off him for a second, he’s just started crawling and I never thought he would get that far :wacko:
Which is why such bottles now come with child proof lids.

Glad you find the idea of a child ingesting poison funny though. Shows the level you're at.

Which is why such bottles now come with child proof lids.

Glad you find the idea of a child ingesting poison funny though. Shows the level you're at.
I find the idea that Absolute black looks like chocolate laughable. As a father I don't see any harm to kids as humorous but I do find the foolishness of parents. Lighten up, its a cycle forum. Its not life or death. Its just a forum :wacko:

Ajax Bay

Guru
And more from absolute bl*ck(s):
The $700 OSPW which @Hambini comments
1633299222282.png

Absolute Black Hollowcage Product claims (summarized):
  1. Bespoke Bearings are made by Absolute Black in Poland (ie not sourced from a supplier)
  2. Claiming their bearings were fully ceramic (balls, races, cage and seal)
  3. Aerodynamic Drag claims using a derailleur in an untensioned position with no chain and perfectly streamline airflow.
  4. Bearing friction numbers that were obtained from an unnamed “Top University in Portugal specializing in Friction”
  5. A Bearing that comes with a seal that is discarded after its first service - i.e. running open after the first service
  6. Claiming grease is the best lubricant for their bearing despite oil showing lower friction coefficient in their own data.
Oh, and apparently besides this, the chain keeps falling off : why wouldn't it (see picture)?

Last edited:
Top Bottom