Absolutely wonderful (formerly absolutely useless) housing association

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
1613311587571.png

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You don't need to change the red pointer. On the contrary, you need to leave the red pointer where it was. The point is to let water into the system. The red pointer is there to tell you how much.

1613263758377-png.png

Find that tap - yours will be similar - and turn it anti-clockwise, while you watch the dial. The black needle should start moving up. When it's level with the red one, or just a tad below, turn the tap off. (Do this carefully...the pressure can change quickly.) Then use the reset button, as per irw's diagram above, and if you're lucky, you might be in business.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's worrying.

The top up water is going somewhere, probably escaping through a leak in a concealed pipe.

Might not be too bad if it's under the ground floor, but if it's upstairs it could lead to a large repair/decorating bill.
only goes down if you run the hot water , its like whatever is supposed to refill it isnt working

D

Deleted member 26715

Friend is here now,bleeding the radiators for me.
That is NOT going to help, please read @swee'pea99's advice, you have NO pressure in the system, bleeding the radiators is only going to make it worse.

You NEED to pressurise the system, FIND the filling loop & gentle put 1-1.2 bar pressure in there.

irw

Quadricyclist
Err, everyone (@Phaeton , @swee'pea99 , and anyone else) who is saying there is no pressure in the system should be aware that the only photo Accy had posted of the gauge was when he had the power off... @Accy cyclist , can you confirm if the BLACK needle on the gauge is at 0 when the power is ON?

D

Deleted member 26715

Err, everyone (@Phaeton , @swee'pea99 , and anyone else) who is saying there is no pressure in the system should be aware that the only photo Accy had posted of the gauge was when he had the power off... @Accy cyclist , can you confirm if the BLACK needle on the gauge is at 0 when the power is ON?
Err, it will make no difference if power is on/off, it is a mechanical pressure gauge or at least every other boiler I have ever seen has a mechanical one

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, it should be (say) 1.0 - 1.5 bar when the system is not running and it will go up a bit to (say) 1.5 - 2.0 when the boiler is running.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Should be around 1 - even with power off. Our van boiler is a similar model/age. It won't fire without the pressure being near 1 in the system. Bleeding rads won't help.

irw

Quadricyclist
Err, it will make no difference if power is on/off, it is a mechanical pressure gauge or at least every other boiler I have ever seen has a mechanical one

Apologies, just tried it with mine, you are indeed correct- for some reason I thought mine dropped to 0 when the power was off!

si_c

Guru
If I'm following the thread properly it seems like the boiler is losing pressure - contact the HA and get them to send an engineer they may replace the boiler as old and fit a new energy efficient one - refilling the loop like you did before will temporarily give you heat and hot water but it won't fix the problem, it will keep losing pressure and failing.

Bleeding the radiators won't cause any problems, but it will make the tops of your radiators warm again.

D

Deleted member 26715

If I'm following the thread properly
Apparently not
refilling the loop like you did before will temporarily give you heat and hot water but it won't fix the problem
He hasn't refilled the boiler/system, he has been advised multiple times, be he hasn't/won't/doesn't want to
Bleeding the radiators won't cause any problems, but it will make the tops of your radiators warm again.
If he already has zero/low pressure then letting even more water out will introduce air into the system, which is not what you want.

Top Bottom