Absolutely wonderful (formerly absolutely useless) housing association

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@swee'pea99 's pictures show both. We disconnect the filler on our boiler at the van. We only do it once a year to top up.

newts

Veteran
I would suggest top up heating circuit pressure via filling loop (some boilers have intergal filling loop operated by plastic key) to 1bar bleed air & repeat top up/air bleed until all air is removed. Very good chance all will be good👍. HA should still visit to confirm why the system is losing pressure (faulty expansion vessel causing system to vent pressure via relief valve?). Braided hose should disconnected after completion to prevent accidental over pressurisation of the system from fauly/not fully closing isolating valves. Non return valves incorporated on the loop valves prevent contamination back into the cold water main.
Imo every household should know how to isolate water within their homes in case of emergency & top up sealed heating system. Next time you have your system serviced ask your 'friendly' engineer/plumber to show you where & how.

Drago

Legendary Member
Useless, but true, fact.

Over 90% of fires in council or housing association housing stock occurs within 1 month of the tenant being turned down by the landlord for a move. Funny that.

I am not suggesting by an means that Accy torch his gaff, just though the nugget of trivia mwy take his mind off his woes.

irw

Quadricyclist
Right,he's tried to fix it,but says that my pump isn't working. He got the pressure up to 2.5 bar and it's still there,but no heating or hot water.:sad:

OK, let's work through this again...assuming that everything else is hunky dory, my money is now on the flow switch:
accys boiler 3.jpg

Follwing the heating side, assuming all the other answers are 'yes', the Pump not running takes us to Check F:
accys boiler 5.jpg

Now assuming that the pump connector is secure, let's hypothesise that the answer to 'Is mains present at the pump connector' is 'No'...that takes us to Check O, which we'd also go through if there is no hot water:
accys boiler 6.jpg

For reference, this is Check I:
accys boiler 8.jpg

Obviously, if you do have a faulty flow switch, harness or connector, it's time to 'get a man person in'...

That said, with regards to the overheat thermostat...Did you manage to find/check it? It's the part I've highlighted here:
accys boiler2.jpg

But you just need to look on the top, rather than fiddling with the inside, and it should look something like this:
accys boiler 4.jpg

As @newts said though, make sure you bleed some of that excess pressure out again first.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Useless, but true, fact.

Over 90% of fires in council or housing association housing stock occurs within 1 month of the tenant being turned down by the landlord for a move. Funny that.

I am not suggesting by an means that Accy torch his gaff, just though the nugget of trivia mwy take his mind off his woes.
Arson? No,that'd result in a prison sentence! No,i'm more of a flooder! You know,accidentally leave the shower on,with the shower head hanging over the shower wall.:whistle: By the way,when my friend came round to look at the boiler for me yon idiot son from the flat below was on the doorstep. According to my friend the son glared at him. He isn't happy and asked if i'd had trouble off him before. I told him all about them. He didn't say much,but he doesn't like bullies and nasty types. I could sense the cogs going round in his head. He'll be thinking along the lines of :boxing:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
OK, let's work through this again...assuming that everything else is hunky dory, my money is now on the flow switch:
View attachment 573976

Follwing the heating side, assuming all the other answers are 'yes', the Pump not running takes us to Check F:
View attachment 573982
Now assuming that the pump connector is secure, let's hypothesise that the answer to 'Is mains present at the pump connector' is 'No'...that takes us to Check O, which we'd also go through if there is no hot water:
View attachment 573985
For reference, this is Check I:
View attachment 573986
Obviously, if you do have a faulty flow switch, harness or connector, it's time to 'get a man person in'...

That said, with regards to the overheat thermostat...Did you manage to find/check it? It's the part I've highlighted here:
View attachment 573979
But you just need to look on the top, rather than fiddling with the inside, and it should look something like this:
View attachment 573981

As @newts said though, make sure you bleed some of that excess pressure out again first.
Yes,i've found those 2 things. I might as well wait for the plumber to come round now,as i think i'm either going to flood my flat or electrocute myself!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
but make sure you ask them what they end up diagnosing to not leave us in suspense...!
Well,according to 'friend' who'd been a private landlord/fix my tenant's problems chap,he says it's definitely the pump. He asked if it kept having to fire up and has the water been going off and back on. When i said yes he said it's almost certainly that,but we'll wait and see what the plumber says. As soon as he's been and gone i'll report back!👍

newts

Veteran
Well,according to 'friend' who'd been a private landlord/fix my tenant's problems chap,he says it's definitely the pump. He asked if it kept having to fire up and has the water been going off and back on. When i said yes he said it's almost certainly that,but we'll wait and see what the plumber says. As soon as he's been and gone i'll report back!👍
You may have 2 separate issues.
1 - faulty expansion vessel leading to PRV venting & system pressure dropping.
2 - faulty auto air vent on the top of the heat exchanger, hot air build up at top of boiler causing lockout & resetting when it cools.
However combi boilers are the work of beelzebub!

Top Bottom