Abus Ugh Rack Bracket U lock holder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickyknees

Guru
Has anyone used the Abus Ugh rack bracket mounted on top of the rack to hold a u-lock to enable panniers to be used?

3910F582-00C9-4569-A1BD-BDF3C176CCB3.jpeg

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have never seen one before, but why not put the lock in the pannier?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have never seen one before, but why not put the lock in the pannier?
+1 I've tried various ways of attaching locks, including this simiar-to-Ugh Velcroing:
lockonrack.jpg

but I've usually returned to having a just-big-enough plastic bag down one vertical side of a pannier (so the lock can be slid in/out fairly easily) or under a saddlebag long flap. Strapping a D-lock to the rack needs the rack top to be just the right width (as you can see, the pictured rack is slightly wider) and I was forever tightening the straps to stop/reduce the rattling. If it's in a bag, it seems more cushioned against rattles.

I have used that fixing as in your original pic but not on the top.

I did go through a period of bungeeing two locks onto the top of my rack for trips into town - worked fairly well though I had to be careful to strap it well to avoid rattling. And it may be coincidence (and it was an old bike) but after not too long one of the bottom frame mounts for the rack broke off. I wondered if the rattling and stress of two heavy locks moving atop the rack had done this. These days I use mjr's system, slip the locks inside a bag (to cover any oil) then slip that inside a tough ortleib front rolltop pannier on the back. Works far better. Frame fine so far.

Brains

Legendary Member
The main issue with frame/rack mounted D locks is the rattle.
So whatever method is used, you need to be able to 'compress' the lock end to end.
I usually do this with a old innertube wich I have cut and glued to make an elastic band the same length as the lock.
I mount my D Lock using the front pannier rack mounts

Top Bottom