Abuse despite not RLJ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You did. Yellow (or amber as it's called) means stop at the stop line, unless you'd get taken roughly from behind (I paraphrase a little). Red and Amber means stop.

Green means proceed if the way is clear. ie if it's Green you can't go balls out and scatter any unfortunate that happens to be in the way to the four winds. Highway code rule 109 is the kiddy.
trafficLightSignals.png

Green means still give way to pedestrians who are crossing. So the good book says.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There are no traffic signal in The Holy Bible.

I should know; I have three copies and intend to read them all one day.

You are just making trouble again.
You already know how the story ends though, right?

Besides weren't the Israelites driven into exile?

Its not really a big deal. If the OP went on green, he is right, if he went on amber, he is wrong to get annoyued at the pedestrian. Only the OP knows which colour he went on.

Either way, its not much of a big deal.

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
Bloody hell, just burn me please.

I didn't RLJ, the clue is in the title.

Please don't respond. Thread closed.

I remember a video of a cyclist who did exactly this - knew the light sequence and pulled off using her spidey sense the exact moment the lights changed - only to end up colliding with the side of a bus driving across her path that had amber gambled the other side.

400bhp

Guru
Flounced

thefollen

Veteran
As I'm sure you all know, peds always have priority of way. We can't just run 'em down or frighten them :-) Naturally if they're blatantly not looking and go to step right out in front it's worth giving them a little (non aggressive sounding as possb) 'No!' shout.

Anyhows, I don't reckon the OP was particularly in the wrong- sounds like there was no real danger. Sometimes peds (and cyclists) over-react a little.

Depends on the junction, of course, but sometimes an amber is just what the proverbial doctor ordered for getting oneself a safe distance from traffic if in front. Usually with amber comes a roar of motorbike/car/bus revs. Often spurs a cyclist on to go.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Bloody hell, just burn me please.

I didn't RLJ, the clue is in the title.

Please don't respond. Thread closed.

Don't take offence mate Im sure a lot of people's advice on here isn't meant to offend.I made a mistake yesterday when I overtook a bus near Liverpool Street yesterday and saw a ped late on a crossing,cue me shouting "sorry".Im not perfect even though I try to be (like many on here).:hello:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Now, as a side step, but one that is prevalent, is and I have noticed a lot of late, the timed sequenced to allow safe pedestrian access and, in the case of single file carriage way road works and the times between lights changing, is they have all shortened, ever so slightly, but enough.

It seems at roundabouts and junctions, that as soon one set of lights go to red, the proceeding ones immediately go green. And indeed, I have recently proceeded through three separate single file road works under a green to then encounter vehicles coming the other way to my and their concern and frustration and to then look back, when passing their light to see those are green!

Is this all from the Mayors policy of smoothing the traffic flow in so cutting a second or two off vehicular wait over the safe access of others, namely pedestrians and cyclists?

Could it be that the OP's lights sequence has changed to the detrimental effect of safe pedestrian passage?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Is this all from the Mayors policy of smoothing the traffic flow in so cutting a second or two off vehicular wait over the safe access of others, namely pedestrians and cyclists?
Nope it's just part of the masterplan to scare the heebiejeebies out of Mr Walnuts!!

donnydave

Über Member
I know of a few junctions round here where if you don't go on red+amber then you are fairly likely to get the horn (no, not that...) from people behind followed by a close pass. If you wait for green then you've lost part of the advantage of being in the advanced stop zone i.e. your immediately boxed in by people (who set off on red+amber) trying to overtake you before you meet the traffic coming the other way. Doesn't make it legal, I know, but I think there is a safety argument for doing it in some circumstances. Probably depends if your happy to submit and chug along in the gutter or you actually want to make some decent progress as a legitimate road user.

Top Bottom