Abuse despite not RLJ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It seems at roundabouts and junctions, that as soon one set of lights go to red, the proceeding ones immediately go green. And indeed, I have recently proceeded through three separate single file road works under a green to then encounter vehicles coming the other way to my and their concern and frustration and to then look back, when passing their light to see those are green!
This happens to everyone. The lights (any actually) just havent been set to take into account a cyclist. They just expect everyone to be in a car doing 30mph through the lights.
Also, when people jump the lights (in cars), I always get frustrated that I have to wait them them to pass.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I have recently proceeded through three separate single file road works under a green to then encounter vehicles coming the other way to my and their concern and frustration and to then look back, when passing their light to see those are green!

You're obviously too slow. Go faster.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
If I set off on red, I'm in the wrong. If I go one amber, I'm in the wrong. If I go on green, I'm not necessarily 'in the right'. Green doesn't mean "GO!" it means that you can proceed if it's safe to do so. Not going on green has saved me from a few potential accidents.

My 'signature' below is something that my driving instructor told me waaaay back in 1990, probably the best advice I've ever been given.

What does a green traffic light mean. Go? Go if it's clear?
Nope, a green traffic light means that the green bulb is working, nothing more. Trust no-one!

I have three signed copies. So there.

That's nothing.

Not only did I work at the same Robertson's Jam factory as the Good Lord, I also worked at the Bonbel Cheese factory where Mary worked.

The employment history of both parties can be proved in the Holy Scripture.

I am not trolling.

Cubist

Still wavin'
That's nothing.

Not only did I work at the same Robertson's Jam factory as the Good Lord, I also worked at the Bonbel Cheese factory where Mary worked.

The employment history of both parties can be proved in the Holy Scripture.

I am not trolling.
I'm gonna hate myself for this, but, go on........

I'm gonna hate myself for this, but, go on........

Well... I'm working from the original Aramaic here, so bear with me....

1. "The Lord makes preserves and keeps us". (Not sure about the punctuation, but the jam reference is clear).

2. "Joseph and Mary made little baby cheeses". (From a primary school nativity play, but the inference cannot be disputed).

Do you hate yourself now that you've had the proof?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Now, as a side step, but one that is prevalent, is and I have noticed a lot of late, the timed sequenced to allow safe pedestrian access and, in the case of single file carriage way road works and the times between lights changing, is they have all shortened, ever so slightly, but enough.

It seems at roundabouts and junctions, that as soon one set of lights go to red, the proceeding ones immediately go green. And indeed, I have recently proceeded through three separate single file road works under a green to then encounter vehicles coming the other way to my and their concern and frustration and to then look back, when passing their light to see those are green!

Is this all from the Mayors policy of smoothing the traffic flow in so cutting a second or two off vehicular wait over the safe access of others, namely pedestrians and cyclists?

Could it be that the OP's lights sequence has changed to the detrimental effect of safe pedestrian passage?
I suspect your seeing 'scoot' phasing getting introduced rather than old-fashioned timed phasing.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I know of a few junctions round here where if you don't go on red+amber then you are fairly likely to get the horn (no, not that...) from people behind followed by a close pass.
The red-amber phase is very short, so it's pretty easy to visibly be responding without actually crossing the line until the green.

Top Bottom