Abuse from ped this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Should have shouted back,"get a bus,you dick.".

I used to get abuse for wearing a long-sleeved maglia rosa on winter commutes.

On several occasions, when passing a bus stop or a gaggle of school kids, I'll get a volley of "Oi, mate, are you gay?"

One considers in the ensuing moments what the correct response might be. My favourite was something not unlike:

"Sir (or madam) there is no reasoning based on available data suggesting that the sexual orientation of a cyclist can be assessed, inferred or even guessed at by the colour of the clothing he or she chooses. You may or may not be aware that the colour I am wearing has a proud and historic association with one of the greatest sporting events in the calendar and for that reason it resonates with many cyclists across the World. Adding to that the greater visibility of bright pink in conditions of poor visibility, I find the rationale behind my choice of bright pink clothing when riding my bicycle to be something with which I am entirely comfortable and, furthermore, not an appropriate catalyst for shouted inquiries as to my sexual orientation".

This response is brief, accurate, witty and succinct. I had intended to use it, but in a way that suggested I hadn't been mulling over it for weeks.

Casual, like. With Camel filter held lightly between the teeth in an antique cigarette holder and a slight Noel Coward sneer.

In truth, I gave the pink top to my daughter and wear only 'butch' colours now.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I had a ped shout at me on the shared use prom yesterday. He said "Slow down". I was very confused as I was only doing about 14mph, shouted towards him that I was passing on the left, he looked at me but didnt move. I didnt pass him closely or anything and I wasnt going too fast.
I was thinking about stopping and having a chat but thought better of it (I couldnt be bothered).

14 mph is too fast when going past peds on a shared path - and that's why you were shouted at. If you do the calculation you'll see why. If you allow an average walking speed of 2mph, then you're travelling 7 times faster. That's like cycling at 20 mph and having a car overtaking you at 140 mph! The point is, neither you nor they can react if anything unexpected happens. If you're on a shared footpath, slow right down and give warning.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Why didn't you just say yes BB?;)

Had this a lot from a colleague at work,you are gay because you are a cyclist,must be all that lycra stuff and the fact I haven't got a big fat beemer in the drive.

^_^ my stock answer for that is 'got one thanks'

the oddest one I had was 'hey mate your wheel's going round'

My favourite answer to that is ...

"OMG - which one"

Then watch them try and work it out!

Kookas

Über Member
I've heard that a few times before. My colleague replied to that once with "just like your mother" - was a good few hundred yards further down the road by the time the yahoo realised the insult.

I prefer the more succinct 'ya mum'.

Hotblack Desiato

On the basis that sticks and stones etc, I tend to ignore smart arse remarks.

OTOH when cycling through a dodgy part of town I had a stone bounce in front of me and instinctively slammed on the anchors and went after the thrower. He'd not expected me to stop so quick as I very nearly caught him before he dodged round a corner, at which point I decided I'd done enough and got back on my bike.

Top Bottom