Abusive Motorist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've decided to report it to the police but I'm not going to upload the footage to YouTube in case it jeopardizes my case.
Good call, you can upload it now and set it to private if you wish. That way you can look at it whenever/wherever you like.

If it goes to court and you're called as a witness, take a back-up copy to court with you on a USB memory stick because sometimes the official copies are unavailable/can't be shown on the court's system or the tech doesn't work well enough for whatever reason.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Racial abuse is easier to prove than dangerous driving. This driver had his charges downgraded from assault to dangerous driving, then to driving without due care and attention because it stood a better chance of getting a conviction. The whole incident was recorded as well.
https://road.cc/content/news/shocking-footage-road-rage-driver-trying-ram-cyclist-290825

The absurd and indeed scary question is why is that even charged as a driving offence rather than assault?

I do understand the technical legal reason why it is not attempted murder, even if it could have been actual murder if the cyclist
had been killed

Casper1978

Regular
Report it......... I had the same guy shout at me from a car a couple of mornings on my commute to work. My fear was if he decides to get nastier ,how far will he go! I reported him , didnt see him for a few weeks then he went by one morning , never said anything. Definitely worth doing.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
If it goes to court and you're called as a witness, take a back-up copy to court with you on a USB memory stick because sometimes the official copies are unavailable/can't be shown on the court's system or the tech doesn't work well enough for whatever reason.
I doubt a court would even consider letting a witness produce a potentially dodgy USB from his/her pocket and ask for it to be plugged into the court's computer system. Besides, the evidence used in court has to be agreed in advance between the two sides.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I doubt a court would even consider letting a witness produce a potentially dodgy USB from his/her pocket and ask for it to be plugged into the court's computer system. Besides, the evidence used in court has to be agreed in advance between the two sides.

Well that's what happened to me. The prosecutor couldn't get the court's filesharing system to work so used my USB and his laptop to display the footage.

C R

Guru
Well that's what happened to me. The prosecutor couldn't get the court's filesharing system to work so used my USB and his laptop to display the footage.

It is surprising that it would be allowed, from a security point of view. I don't work in anything as important as the court system, and in my previous job only special usb devices approved by IT would work with our laptops.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
It is surprising that it would be allowed, from a security point of view. I don't work in anything as important as the court system, and in my previous job only special usb devices approved by IT would work with our laptops.

I know, it's the sad state of affairs in the criminal justice system. Cycling Mike takes his footage to court too like this. What's meant to happen is the court has a system where the parties can cast their laptops to screens, and the evidence is available to all, but it is not reliable. The bench took the prosecutors laptop into their room to view the footage on my usb as they deliberated.

Reactions: C R

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The bench took the prosecutors laptop into their room to view the footage on my usb as they deliberated.
That's rather different from what you originally said. I stand by my comment that a court allowing you to plug a USB stick into the court's computer system would be highly irregular.

Viewing the contents on an individual barrister's laptop is a completely different matter.

Reactions: C R

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
That's rather different from what you originally said. I stand by my comment that a court allowing you to plug a USB stick into the court's computer system would be highly irregular.

Viewing the contents on an individual barrister's laptop is a completely different matter.

All I originally said was "take a back-up copy to court with you on a USB memory stick" ? and I stand by that advice :okay:

Roadrat77

To be fair most motorists are pretty decent by me. I think if they see you are observing the rules of the road it helps a lot. Trouble is you only need one maniac to ruin a whole ride. I had one yesterday - boy racer, I was luckily turning left at a junction and had just finished signalling when he shot straight across the road from the road I was turning into, smashed the brakes and skidded straight across the junction - if I had been going straight on he would have T-boned me at about fifty mph I looked at him as I was turning but said nothing - he glared at me and shouted "WHAT" in the most aggressive manner imaginable. He was driving a very unusual car that I happen to know a bit about and I can't imagine there are many in the area and I did toy with the idea of talking to the local constabulary but couldn't see much point. Like I said earlier - it only takes one maniac.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry not trying to defend the boy racer but was he really doing 50mph 1M beyond the give way line which is where he would have had to have been to T-bone you. If that was the case then he would have actually stopped another 50M past that point which unless it was a VERY wide road would have been in a field or a house & certainly not in a place where you could have heard his comments.

Roadrat77

Sorry not trying to defend the boy racer but was he really doing 50mph 1M beyond the give way line which is where he would have had to have been to T-bone you. If that was the case then he would have actually stopped another 50M past that point which unless it was a VERY wide road would have been in a field or a house & certainly not in a place where you could have heard his comments.

He was driving at a crazy speed it was a T Junction he braked violently travelling in a dead straight line towards a row of front gardens and skidded. I got the feeling he had just had words with an equally dodgy looking guy in the road who stood watching him. It was an unpleasant few seconds and I didn't give him a mouthful - as I was entitled to do under the circumstances - because he was a nasty looking character and its a very rough area plagued by car crime. If you were there you would understand...

Top Bottom