Abusive motorists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
It can be quite satisfying running cameras sometimes.

Knowing you can upload footage to the rozzers of any dangerous drivers (who will receive a warning, fixed penalty or prosecution to encourage them to turn their sad little lives around) can be satisfying :becool::laugh:.. it can also help one to remain unfailingly polite if the opportunity to engage in conversation arises.

It is not often you get a chance to have a reasoned debate over the merits of cycling and a chance to change someone's mind and this was not one of those times
:laugh:

contadino

Veteran
I've only been back on my bike for the last couple of months, but have noticed that drivers are more aggressive and abusive than a year ago. However, I've been exploring routes comprising of little back lanes, bridleways, byways and fire tracks which means I spend less time near cars and more time enjoying the scenery.

It does mean I get to meet more (mostly friendly) dog walkers but have now experienced their ire too. Fortunately, I'd stopped for a drink right next to one of those blue signs with a picture of a pedestrian, a bike and a horse, so could retort to the "it's called a footpath for a reason. Clear off." with a "get some glasses, you prick".

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think its a symptom of an overloaded road network and a frenzied live style most people live, result is bearly contained anger, us cyclist in the meantime are blissfully unaware what troubles them.
I agree, it's no excuse but the shockingly poor cycling and walking infrastructure in most of our towns leads inevitably to conflict. I hope that increasing numbers of cyclists in my local town gradually help people see us as normal, and behave accordingly.

I experience fewer issues on the country lanes here in the south west.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yebbut it's a pretty specious argument that the tax paid on motoroised road vehicles is not road tax.

No such thing as beer tax, it's been alcohol excise duty since 1066
Its a pollution tax, not a road tax.

Cars with no tailpipe pollutants don't pay it any more than non pollutung bicycles do, yet that doesn't stop motorists using them upon the Queen's highway.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Its a pollution tax, not a road tax.

Cars with no tailpipe pollutants don't pay it any more than non pollutung bicycles do, yet that doesn't stop motorists using them upon the Queen's highway.

It isn't really though, since you don't have to pay "pollution tax" for burning stuff to heat your house, nor for using "red diesel" for various off-road purposes. So it's only payable for using the road - qefd

fwiw - I always get wary of auto traffic during changes of seasons. driver behavior escalates dangerously. my favorite time f year to ride the roads is July, during vacation season, when there is less commuter traffic. wishing you safe travels ...

Unfortunately, I had the displeasure of meeting 'angry bald man in a convertible*' yesterday, I was stopped at the traffic lights, the ABMiaC was in a BMW that squeezed through a small gap to be at the front of the queue, about an inch from my bike, I asked him did he think it was a good idea to squeeze past and he called me a W**ker.

But you've got to admire the bravery of a man who sits stationary in a queue of traffic in a convertible and calls the cyclist next to him a w****r. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

GuyBoden

Guru
But you've got to admire the bravery of a man who sits stationary in a queue of traffic in a convertible and calls the cyclist next to him a w****r. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
He was stupid, like his driving, not brave, if I was an aggressive person there could have been a serious incident.

Road Rage incident.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56586907

"A 35-year-old man could lose his sight after he was seriously injured in a road rage attack, police have said.
A fight between two male drivers broke out after a sports utility vehicle (SUV) pulled out in front of a van on a slip road in Devon."

Solocle

Über Member
The advantage of ABMiAC when driving is, if they decide to tailgate you, the weather can change at a squidge of the windscreen washers :laugh:

Lozz360

Veteran
I'm not sure whether it is just an Oxfordshire thing or it happens in other parts of the country. When the weather is warm and sunny, and cars are often being driven with the windows down, occasionally one will overtake and a male passenger will scream loudly as they pass. It also happens with the driver screaming as car passes in the opposite direction. I have had two unrelated incidents of this on the same 20-mile ride. I can only think that the point of this is to startle the cyclist so they might lose control and fall off (What a laugh that would be?). Fortunately, I am not easily startled and and can do nothing more than just ignore it. It's not exactly a torrent of abuse but just seems weird.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I once got hollered at to 'get a car' by some scrub hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I once got hollered at to 'get a car' by some scrub hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride.
That is a fan favourite. I've not had much crap my way but I have had been told to "get a job" and "can't you afford a car!?"
On both occasions I was humoured...

Johnno260

Veteran
I'm not sure whether it is just an Oxfordshire thing or it happens in other parts of the country. When the weather is warm and sunny, and cars are often being driven with the windows down, occasionally one will overtake and a male passenger will scream loudly as they pass. It also happens with the driver screaming as car passes in the opposite direction. I have had two unrelated incidents of this on the same 20-mile ride. I can only think that the point of this is to startle the cyclist so they might lose control and fall off (What a laugh that would be?). Fortunately, I am not easily startled and and can do nothing more than just ignore it. It's not exactly a torrent of abuse but just seems weird.

Not happened to me but I have witnessed it happening to cyclist while out on a walk a few times.

I have had a passenger in a white transit lean out and try and push me, I turned left as he went to shove he had no seat belt on, I stopped in a drive and the old boy cutting his hedge row yelled at them.

So long as the joy of riding outweighs the irksome behaviour of chimp-brained motorists, keep pedalling.

A stoic-like attitude always helps. God knows it's not the idiots that make it pleasurable. I've been known to get very angry, but experience tells me that dwelling on it just makes me feel bad, and nothing good can come of it. That said, there's nothing wrong with expressing frustration, just choose your moments wisely. Our transport system needs a rethink, but getting angry and losing it on the side of the road will get you nowhere but in bother with the law or someone with the means and motivation to do you harm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom