accident advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Crankarm said:
Personal injury cases are taken on by solicitors on conditional fee agreements commonly known as "no win no fee" agreements although they are not "no win no fee" if you lose your case. Although if you were a union member I'm not sure if they would pick up the costs you would still be liable for such as the other side's costs. Maybe they would or you would have had to take out an insurance policy to cover this eventuality.

A Union or cycling club only acts as an introducer behind which will be solicitors handling their members' cases. RJW solicitors act for Unions eg the IPMS as well as the CTC.

That was suggested as an option only, as I know my TU would represent me totally free. Always worth checking out

Crankarm

Guru
addictfreak said:
That was suggested as an option only, as I know my TU would represent me totally free. Always worth checking out

It has been suggested that "Union fought" cases achieve lower damages awards. Depends on your case and level of expectation really. In the grand scheme of things I don't expect that this is a particularly high value case as thankfully the injured party has only suffered minor injuries and damage to her bike. Still frightening none the less to be driven into from behind. I hope the OP's wife makes a full and speedy recovery.

Crankarm said:
It has been suggested that "Union fought" cases achieve lower damages awards. Depends on your case and level of expectation really. In the grand scheme of things I don't expect that this is a particularly high value case as thankfully the injured party has only suffered minor injuries and damage to her bike. Still frightening none the less to be driven into from behind. I hope the OP's wife makes a full and speedy recovery.

Yes from what I have seen over the years I would tend to agree with that. As far as im concerned as long as my property is repaired/replaced and adequate compensation for injury awarded, then im happy. Certainly dont agree with those wishing to milk the system.

OP
OP
B

botchjob

Veteran
Many thanks for all the advice. Mrs Botchjob is reluctant to go to our local A&E with her slightly hurty elbow, and i can't really blame her. Bike shop says it's just a new back wheel and are fixing it today. The company whose van it was (actually subcontracted to the council, not owned by the council itself) have been in touch and it sounds like they're happy enough to pay up without being difficult about it. The driver was clearly not paying any attention whatsoever but without any witnesses there's no point in trying to take that side of it any further. Just very lucky he wasn't going any quicker...

biking_fox

Guru
Who else has used her that sings her praises as I have only heard her name mentioned in your posts?

Well ME for a start - a recommnedation from here, and not Bollo. I had very good service from them, although Ms France no longer personally involved I understand.

Botchjob - commiserations. IF you are really certain there's no hidden damage to the bike and the misses elbow is ok next week, then just take what they offer. BUT if in any doubt, go to the solicitors. It's Always a hard line to draw between, "one of those things" and a serious accident warrenting more special handling.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
biking_fox said:
Well ME for a start - a recommnedation from here, and not Bollo.

Hay, what d'I say?:smile:

I went through an "am I ambulance chasing" phase for a few days after my accident. In the end, the discovery of some longer term rearrangement of my shoulder decided the matter for me.

Claim or no claim, be 100% sure that Mrs Botch hasn't done any long term damage - its easy to miss when you're covered in bumps and scratches.

Top Bottom