Accident causing broken front wheel - what do I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
What's the value of the front wheel? If less than £100, is it worth the hassle of trying to put in a claim, which could be disputed?

C R

Guru
Regardless of blame, the incident should be reported. The way the driver behaved may or may not indicate an issue with driving license and/or insurance.

C R

Guru
I wouldn’t hand my licence over to anyone other than the police either, but that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with it or my insurance

@Aussie Rider in London report it to the police ASAP if you want to pursue
Not the license necessarily, but insurance details should at least be offered. I am not saying that there's something wrong, but evasiveness about details would make me suspicious.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's now possible to check the licence details.
https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/validate

vickster

Legendary Member
I believe it is a legal requirement to hand over insurance details. Any accident in which there is an injury to the person is reqiuredin law to be reported to the police within 48 hrs.
OP doesn’t mention any injury to himself, only the wheel

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I believe it is a legal requirement to hand over insurance details. Any accident in which there is an injury to the person is reqiuredin law to be reported to the police within 48 hrs.
I'm pretty sure that showing your driver's licence and giving insurance details are not a legal obligation immediately after an RTA. I think you only have to give your contact details, and inform the police if somebody has been hurt.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It is of no concern to the cyclist whether the driver has a licence or not - that's up to the police or her insurer.

The OP seems to have focused on her licence, perhaps that's more of a thing in Australia which, given the OP's screen name, he is presumably from.

What the cyclist requires as a minimum is the registration mark of the vehicle, and preferably the name of the insurance company.

I try to carry a pen and a scrap of paper in my trunk bag, even if it's only the Greggs bag for my sausage roll, on which to write such basic details.

If the roadside exchange proceeds in a gentlemanly manner, there should be an exchange of details, thus it is also reasonable for the driver to ask for the cyclist's name and address.

@vickster has a point about being a woman living alone, to which there is no easy answer.

Were she to hit me in my car, I would like to think my conduct at the roadside would at least give her the confidence to provide me with a name and email address or phone number.

Going back to the OP, I agree he doesn't have much of a claim, so having reported the matter to the police, his best bet is to hope he hears no more about it.

Reactions: C R

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Were she to hit me in my car, I would like to think my conduct at the roadside would at least give her the confidence to provide me with a name and email address or phone number.
Same here, but there are a frighteningly large number of road users who seem unable to control themselves in such a situation or even when simply offended by a third party’s behaviour. A contact number and name ought to be sufficient. The insurer/police can ask for more details if they take it up.

Drago

Legendary Member
Incorrect. The driver needs only to give their name and address to anyone involved, and any person having reasonable cause to request it. In addition, the name and address of the owner of the vehicle if the driver is not themselves the owner.

If there is an injury it must be reported at the earliest possible opportunity in person to a constable, and in any case within 24 hours. If there is no injury but their is damage it must be reported in person to a constable as soon as is reasonably practicable, and in any case within 24 hours. Most police forces will accept you reporting it in person to an enquiry desk civilian at a police station, but reporting by phone will not be accepted as having lawfully discharging this duty.

As per the OPs incident, I'm a little confused. They overtook you, pulled back in. Had the driver not yet reached the corner when the incident occurred, or had they negotiated the corner and only then stopped?

Last edited:
Top Bottom