Accident this morning- can you pros advise next steps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ace Ventura

Ace Ventura

Depends on exactly where it occured. The blue lane along there is partly shared with the bus lane, so the motorcycle would be allowed, and partly it's a mandatory cycle lane during commute times, so the motorcyclists shouldn't have been in it.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...YKVWOGgCmHbzKTFGKeBQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

(looks like it was in interesting day on Millbank when the Google Car went through)

This was where it happened Link

Thanks everyone for your input- all appreciated

vickster

Legendary Member
You can contact Leigh Day directly (they are British Cycling's solicitors) and ask for the cycling claims team. I'm sure they would take it on as a no win no fee basis.
I don't think they do support non members, or they didn't

Slater & Gordon do, indeed they advertise lots on the telly

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I would first check with the police if they actually have his details and are willing to divulge them. Without that you are a bit stuck.

If the OP has the reg number of the motorbike, he can get the name and address of the registered keeper from the DVLA.

Assuming the reg no is insured, he can get the name of the insurance company from the AskMid website.

You have three years to start a personal injury claim

But only five days to report it to the cops, get the reference or the MIB won't be able to help.

1. the Motor Insurers' Bureau will only deal with claims registered with them within 9 months of the accident. They will also expect the accident to have been reported to the police within 5 days of the accident.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Hope you get well soon, I wouldn't contact the motorbike rider nor would I accept a direct payment in compensation. Whether you claim just for damage done to material things or personal injury as well let a Solicitor do the work for you.

I too am amazed that according to Drago (I have no reason to believe he is making it up) the Police view is no crime committed. What a load of bollocks our law is. Its never an accident, it is careless at best every time a collision takes place so the minimum should be the Police at least apply blame and duly endorse the licence or if no licence held (if Cyclist Pedestrian is to blame) a hefty fine.

It drives me nuts reading about deaths caused by motor vehicles and the subsequent court cases not just where cyclists are involved it just seems like it is open season as long as you are in control of a motorised vehicle.

uclown2002

Guru
I too am amazed that according to Drago (I have no reason to believe he is making it up) the Police view is no crime committed. What a load of bollocks our law is. Its never an accident, it is careless at best every time a collision takes place so the minimum should be the Police at least apply blame and duly endorse the licence or if no licence held (if Cyclist Pedestrian is to blame) a hefty fine.

@Drago said it wasn't a recordable crime.

A recordable offence is any offence under United Kingdom law where the police must keep records of convictions and offenders on the Police National Computer

Some driving offences are non-recordable.

oldstrath

Über Member
Sorry for what happened to you, and other may disagree, but ... I'd hold off calling the solicitors yet. There's no immediate hurry, and if the motorcyclist isn't lying, he's got a lot going on now. Sick child, and the accident. He doesn't need to be pursued by "ambulances chasers" just yet.

Contact the police. It's likely he will have admitted fault to them. If so, and they have his details, then give it a few days and decide what to do. Assuming he's insured, you will get paid eventually.

Of all the dangerous riding I've seen from motorcyclists, you get hit by the one who actually has an excuse. Not a legal one, but very few of us would be sure we would act rationally under the same circumstances.

Be nice if the police told him not to ride or drive. I'm reasonably certain I'd struggle as well given his claimed circumstances, but that is not a reason to endanger other people.

Be nice if the police told him not to ride or drive. I'm reasonably certain I'd struggle as well given his claimed circumstances, but that is not a reason to endanger other people.
Totally agree. But compared with what must be the "excuses" of most impatient drivers, this one is at least understandable. "I'm putting you in danger, because your life is less important to me than arriving in time to get a coffee before my meeting" is just wrong, but "I'm putting you in danger because your life is less important to me than getting to my dangerously ill child's bedside" is also wrong, but .... well, it's understandable.

Of course, he now regrets the decision to ride like that, because instead of getting to the hospital, he's waiting for the police to arrive, and watching a very possibly maimed cyclist be taken to hospital. Instead of supporting his wife, he has to call her and let her know he's been in a motorcycle accident - likely one of her greatest fears.

I'm glad you aren't badly off @Ace Ventura. Can't be many people who arrive on an ambulance on a board and walk out the same day. I hope your recovery is as smooth as the diagnosis suggests. Keep an eye on those bruises, @vickster will attest, they can be trouble in themselves. And take some photos of your injuries now. If you end up needing to make a personal injury claim, they may be useful evidence. Hopefully the boy is ok, and the wife has forgiven her husband for being such an arse.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
But only five days to report it to the cops, get the reference or the MIB won't be able to help.

This assumes the driver/rider is uninsured and the OP is claiming from the uninsured drivers fund.

AskMid will provide the name of the insurance company at any time, enabling the OP to claim direct from the insurance company.

There is no time limit in that case, the rider/insurance company is either liable or it isn't, that liability cannot lapse after a specific time.

Common sense suggests it is better to start a claim sooner rather than later.

vickster

Legendary Member
Especially given how long they can take to settle if injuries worse than first thought. Two years and counting here. Although I'm beginning to feel some if this is now a lack of proactivity on the part of Leigh Day slowing things up

Top Bottom