Accident this morning- can you pros advise next steps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ace Ventura

Sorry for length/if this duplicates other posts- probably a vent as much as anything.

Was on the Victoria Embankment this morning on the approach towards Vauxhall Bridge, going at about 38km/h in the blue cycle lane, minding my own business when I hear a motorbike behind me sounding too close, almost like an undertake, then a "F#@king hellllll" then I feel him rear end me I go crashing down onto my shoulder then head and he loses control of his bike.

Writhe in agony, motorcyclist comes over and immediately apologises, admits it was all his fault. His explanation is his wife has just told him their son is in intensive care in Chelmsford and he is trying to get home. Two witnesses stay with me and call ambulance and police. Did not have a bike lock with me so it has been taken to a police station. Was put on a board because of the pain and have just been discharged from hospital with nothing broken thankfully considering speeds involved, but still in a bad way with bruising.

Am home now and a bit at a loss for what I should be doing next. I have never claimed any compensation/damages before so not sure of procedure. Photos of all my tattered helmet/clothes that were cut by doctor/bruising? I have not seen the bike yet, and probably wont be able to collect it to next week, so shall I hold off doing anything till a bike shop has seen it? I have uber receipt from hospital home also. i do not have witness names etc/motorbikes reg etc as was not in a fit state to get anything, so reliant on what the police noted in statements. Do i instruct one of these no-win firms now, or later when I have receipts for everything.

Sorry for what happened to you, and other may disagree, but ... I'd hold off calling the solicitors yet. There's no immediate hurry, and if the motorcyclist isn't lying, he's got a lot going on now. Sick child, and the accident. He doesn't need to be pursued by "ambulances chasers" just yet.

Contact the police. It's likely he will have admitted fault to them. If so, and they have his details, then give it a few days and decide what to do. Assuming he's insured, you will get paid eventually.

Of all the dangerous riding I've seen from motorcyclists, you get hit by the one who actually has an excuse. Not a legal one, but very few of us would be sure we would act rationally under the same circumstances.

MikeW-71

Veteran
That's a very scary crash and could have ended a lot worse, heal up soon :smile:

The Police will probably not give the riders personal details to you, but they will to a Solicitor or insurance company. They should give you a crime reference, maybe the bike reg number and insurance company name, that will be all you need to get people on the case.

Keep note of any expenses or losses caused to you by the incident, including receipts.

I'm only suggesting delay a week or so. Seeing this will take (conservatively, probably much longer) a year to resolve, I don't think a week would make much difference. But yes, go to the police straight away, find out if what facts they have. Have you given a statement?

OP
OP
Ace Ventura

Ace Ventura

Why the need to instruct a solicitor at all at this stage?

Speak to the coppers and get his details, speak to the bloke, let him know the cost of replacements and ask him if he wants to put it through his insurance. If he doesn't play ball then get a solicitor involved
As i said earlier- I have no knowledge of the process, hence asking for the advice. i have rang the police who cannot find a reference of the accident on their computers, so they are getting the officer to contact me. I'll find out the lie of the land then.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
If you're a member of British Cycling, or CTC, you should be insured and have free legal cover. At this stage, you don't know whether you will have any longer term injury issues, and also you don't know for sure he was insured, and you don't know what he'll say from now on.

I'd say play it safe for the moment, assume nothing, and gather whatever evidence you can, just in case.

vickster

Legendary Member
You have three years to start a personal injury claim, there's no immediate rush although that's your decision. Personally I waited until I was released from hospital after surgery and about 2k down in lost earnings to contact British Cycling

You need to decide if you want to sue for the injury or your personal effects (you actually have 6 years to claim for the latter for some reason)

This might help
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/accident-advice.151618/

Drago

Legendary Member
They won't give you a crime reference as no recordable crime has been committed. They should able to furnish you with a URN/Incident Number/Occurance Number depending on what software the Met are using these days.

Check in with the dibble to ensure they have your details on full, those of the biker, and those of any witnesses. They won't give the details directly to you as it bit embarrassing when the aggrieved nips round with a knife and stabs the other party, too much risk of consequential incident or crime (it has happened over the years).

Once you're happy the Feds have it all nice and tidy then notify your insurer and let them earn their pay. Don't take actual civil legal advice from anyone not qualified to dispense it - that sort is worth what paid for it. Your insurer will advise on options and procedures for any claims.

Good luck.

classic33

Leg End Member
Get yourself sorted out first, then start worrying about the bike.
It can't feel a thing, you can and will over the next few days.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can contact Leigh Day directly (they are British Cycling's solicitors) and ask for the cycling claims team. I'm sure they would take it on as a no win no fee basis.

Top Bottom