Accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Check under the rubber grip on the shifter for damage I had an off similar to yours and the casing under the rubber had cracked and needed replacing I ended up with a £100 bill to get the bike back to how it was before the off
A lot of cosmetic damage but no cracks or other damage.

Straightened handlebars and had a quick 15 mile ride and all seems OK with bike. I have a very sore left knee (despite landing on my right) and sore right arm and shoulder, but nothing serious!

The most likely cause of both shifters being out of alignment is that you fell on it on the way down. Don't be alarmed by the bike being carbon-fibre. It is a very tough material, and only the cause of worry because it is relatively new. (Though Mrs A was ordering carbon fibre wings for Harriers back in the 1970s)

dim

Thanks all. I have checked and can see no damage to the forks, steerer or bars at all. Cosmetic damage to the right shifter (and left, which still baffles me, it's impossible that it hit the road)

I'll adjust the stem tomorrow and give it a slow ride.

I wish I had looked for oil/diesel instead of just walking off as I would be happier knowing why I came off! I did inflate the tyre this morning, so that could have been a contributing factor, it would have been around 95psi and perhaps it would have been better off a bit lighter with the wet roads.

just out of interest, what tyres are are you using?

MarkF

Guru
Was it near a supermarket? The mini-roundabouts near me are lethal, who would think a petrol station and an unusually tight turning circle right after, were a good combination? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
just out of interest, what tyres are are you using?
I have a vittoria rubino on the front and a continental gatorskin on the back. Never had any issues with the front slipping before; felt the rear slip the odd time but never even nearly caused an off. Swapping the front out for a rubino G+ as I had a fairly large piece of glass penetrate it so am not too trusting the tyre will be that puncture resistant.

Was it near a supermarket? The mini-roundabouts near me are lethal, who would think a petrol station and an unusually tight turning circle right after, were a good combination? :rolleyes:
Fortunately not, would be so busy this time of year! A mini roundabout linking the entry to university halls of residence and a side road (from where I was coming) with the main road.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A lot of cosmetic damage but no cracks or other damage.

Straightened handlebars and had a quick 15 mile ride and all seems OK with bike. I have a very sore left knee (despite landing on my right) and sore right arm and shoulder, but nothing serious!

That's good news. I had a very slow off a while back and it cracked the plastic casing around the shifter mechanism causing it to not work correctly. Had to buy a whole new shifter...£90. Then I accidentally kicked the same part while I had the bike upside down and broke the plastic housing again....another new shifter for £90. They're surprisingly delicate so well done for not breaking yours

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's good news. I had a very slow off a while back and it cracked the plastic casing around the shifter mechanism causing it to not work correctly. Had to buy a whole new shifter...£90. Then I accidentally kicked the same part while I had the bike upside down and broke the plastic housing again....another new shifter for £90. They're surprisingly delicate so well done for not breaking yours
Well, shifters should be safely tucked away on the down tube, so it serves you right! ;)

@LarryDuff peel back the rubber cover, usually a bolt hidden underneath which has to be loosened.

gersin008

Had a similar off few weeks back at a roundabout. I took the brunt of it and broke hip with no damage to bike that I see though will be months before I get back on it.

I also used Rubino Pro but on front and back though and would be interested if another tyre would've saved it from happening. I think it was greasy on roundabout as fellow cyclist said he had an off at same place and car lost traction whilst I was waiting on being picked up

Anyway, hope you're feeling better OP

Ian193

Über Member
On the topic of tyres and accidents my front tyre is a continental gaitor skin hardshell inflated to 100psi I'm wondering if it had anything to do with slipping on loose gravel. I can't remember what the recommended psi is for that tyre

GGJ

Veteran
On the topic of tyres and accidents my front tyre is a continental gaitor skin hardshell inflated to 100psi I'm wondering if it had anything to do with slipping on loose gravel. I can't remember what the recommended psi is for that tyre

Whet it the tyre width?
What weight are you?

Ian193

Über Member
Yes two riders went left at a junction I went to follow then braked on loose gravel when I realised the rest of the group hadn't followed them and the front wheel went from under me

Top Bottom