Accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian193

Über Member
Wouldn't go any lower than 100psi then. I run my 23mm Gatorskins at around 70psi but I'm not quite 15 stone :ohmy:

I'm riding home from work on Friday I've just pumped the rear up to 100 psi and the front is at 95 psi ish it's just under 7 miles home so I'll see what happens if it's no better I'll go back to 100 psi

Reactions: GGJ
OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
If the shifter is slightly bent inwards how do you go about moving it back to where it should be?
I've had 3 falls now (ice, chain/mech failure, this one), each time the shifter just rotates with a tiny bit of force back into position. I've never had to undo or re-tighten the bolt - my understanding is that this is by design so the shifter moves and doesn't break on impact.

I think I just need to take those tighter turns a bit easier in this weather.

Ian193

Über Member
I've had 3 falls now (ice, chain/mech failure, this one), each time the shifter just rotates with a tiny bit of force back into position. I've never had to undo or re-tighten the bolt - my understanding is that this is by design so the shifter moves and doesn't break on impact.

A hard smack with your hand is enough to get it back in the right position

fixedfixer

Veteran

Worth not over tightening the shifter bolt for this very reason. Need the fine balance between secure and slip on impact.

Ajax Bay

Guru
On the topic of tyres and accidents my front tyre is a continental gaitor skin hardshell inflated to 100psi I'm wondering if it had anything to do with slipping on loose gravel. It's a 25mm wide tyre and I'm cough 15 stone
Ian - at 15 stone (95kg) plus bike at 10kg (say) that's 105kg load. Split front/rear 45/55 that implies 47kg load on front. With Gatorskins 25s (which measure about right ie 25mm width) the recommended tyre pressure for your front is 90psi (and 115 for the rear). See authoritative BQ 2006 attachment. But it's the gravel (plus not easing off the brakes as you crossed it or trying to turn on it) that did for you, not the 100psi.

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 69
Top Bottom