Accie's fake Rolex.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Unfortunately some people want a slice of the high life (which is completely understandable) but are not prepared to pay proper money for it.

Buying a high value used watch is all about provinence, I would want the original box, receipts, papers, service receipts and ideally only one previous owner. However it is rare, just had my 1997 GMT valued for insurance and jeweller commented that because it had absolutely everything with it, it was one of the best he had seen, and not very common to see a complete set, most are missing the boxes, don’t have any paperwork so they almost have to be stripped to be authenticated.

it is a very murky world - caveat emptor

Last edited:
Watchfinder give a price estimate based on what the seller tells them and what, if any, photos the seller provides. They then have the watch shipped to them and inspect it.

They will then confirm the offer or revise it of condition etc is not as described. Once the offer is accepted by the seller they are paid.

As to what they do in event they receive a fake I do not know but they will, at least, withdraw their offer

It's claimed Rolex destroy any fakes sent to their service department.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Watchfinder give a price estimate based on what the seller tells them and what, if any, photos the seller provides. They then have the watch shipped to them and inspect it.

They will then confirm the offer or revise it of condition etc is not as described. Once the offer is accepted by the seller they are paid.

As to what they do in event they receive a fake I do not know but they will, at least, withdraw their offer

It's claimed Rolex destroy any fakes sent to their service department.
Two pocket watches for sale, both the same as each other, but one is £2,950, while the other is a penny short of £1,950. I know the owner of the cheaper one. He says I can have it for £1000 cash. I think that's a fair price. I've seen the watch and it is in very good condition. No obvious scratches on the external and internal case

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

and worth it I'd say, but why would he let me have it for nearly half of what he's asking for it on fleabay? 🤔
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145674546999?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=777008&algo=PERSONAL.TOPIC

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175885247859?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=777008&algo=PERSONAL.TOPIC

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I know from my own furklings that J W Benson (a very reputable goldsmith, silversmith & watch maker) produced a lot of watches that were cased in gold and silver, and that when they do come up for sale, can fetch a pretty penny.

However, I can't quite make out whether the sponsor's marks on the case are actually for J W Benson, though I'd expect to see London marks on a J W Benson watch and not Birmingham ones. It makes me wonder whether the watch and the case actually started out life together.

The dial looks fresh because it's vitreous enamel over brass. It won't fade or rub much, but will chip and crack if the watch has been treated badly. This one doesn't seem to have been. Movement will likely be top-of-the-line as well as you don't put a crap movement in a posh case. Any chance of seeing the movement, btw?

Though this is pretty well much the "last hurrah" of the pocket watch, as men's wrist watches were becoming much more fashionable post WW1. Prior to the war, a wrist watch (then known as a wristlet) was very much a ladies' thing and it was considered effeminate for a man to wear one. But a wrist watch's convenience in combat pretty well much put pay to that notion, and a lot of former soldiers carried on wearing one after the war.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The dial looks fresh because it's vitreous enamel over brass. It won't fade or rub much, but will chip and crack if the watch has been treated badly. This one doesn't seem to have been. Movement will likely be top-of-the-line as well as you don't put a crap movement in a posh case. Any chance of seeing the movement, btw?

I would've taken a few movement photos this aft', If you'd posted before I went out @Reynard. This was taken the other day when I first saw the watch.

nc_ohc=xROe2EdWFQgAX_vEk_f&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Though there is this photo of the movement taken from the fleabay advert.

s-l1600.jpg

One thing I do think isn't an original part of the watch is the crystal. I wore my IWC pocket watch today. I tapped the crystal, then tapped the RW Benson's crystal. My IWC's crystal sounds like glass. The RW Benson's crystal sounded like it was acrylic. I asked the seller about it. He was a bit vague saying "I think it's toughened glass, but I'm not too sure".

Last edited:
I would've taken a few movement photos this aft', If you'd posted before I went out @Reynard. This was taken the other day when I first saw the watch.

View attachment 725132

Though there is this photo of the movement taken from the fleabay advert.

View attachment 725133

One thing I do think isn't an original part of the watch is the crystal. I wore my IWC pocket watch today. I tapped the crystal, then tapped the RW Benson's crystal. My IWC's crystal sounds like glass. The RW Benson's crystal sounded like it was acrylic. I asked the seller about it. He was a bit vague saying "I think it's toughened glass, but I'm not too sure".

Chances the crystal would've been acrylic originally, though the very early ones are prone to discolouration as a result of exposure to UV light. That's why so many old watches look yellow.

As is the case with the 1920s cocktail watch I inherited from my paternal grandmother.

Edited to add that watch crystals are essentially consumables, much in the same way as a chain is on a bicycle. Although woe betide of you've got a vintage or antique watch with a more unusual crystal e.g. oval or faceted, as they're a PITA to get replaced if damaged.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Chances the crystal would've been acrylic originally, though the very early ones are prone to discolouration as a result of exposure to UV light. That's why so many old watches look yellow.

As is the case with the 1920s cocktail watch I inherited from my paternal grandmother.

Edited to add that watch crystals are essentially consumables, much in the same way as a chain is on a bicycle. Although woe betide of you've got a vintage or antique watch with a more unusual crystal e.g. oval or faceted, as they're a PITA to get replaced if damaged.

So if the watch is 95.10 grams in weight, what do you reckon the gold alone will weigh?

s-l1600.jpg

If say the gold content weighs 30 grams, then at today's scrap price for 9 karat gold being approximately £20 then that'd mean the gold part of the watch is 'worth' £600. 🤔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I know from my own furklings that J W Benson (a very reputable goldsmith, silversmith & watch maker) produced a lot of watches that were cased in gold and silver, and that when they do come up for sale, can fetch a pretty penny.

However, I can't quite make out whether the sponsor's marks on the case are actually for J W Benson, though I'd expect to see London marks on a J W Benson watch and not Birmingham ones. It makes me wonder whether the watch and the case actually started out life together.
This J W Benson pocket watch also has a Birmingham hallmarked case. Maybe J W Benson shipped their watches to Birmingham to have the cases fitted, or they bought the made in Birmingham cases and fitted them in London. 🤔

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22597603...AR1R82B1VYPTY8PRB&hash=item349d38b515:g:L9EAA

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

I'm quite surprised they had acrylic crystals 100 years ago. I thought it was a fairly new thing, like maybe 50 years since it was first used. 🤔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
He's just messaged me to tell me the watch has been sold. He sent a text earlier offering it to me for £900, which I didn't see till he sent the text to say it'd been sold. I'm not that bothered, in fact it's solved my dilemma of to buy or not to buy. :okay:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was going to tell a tale of a fraudulent catalogue account which has resulted in goods being delivered to my home which I never ordered.
But Accy prefers to hijack the thread and discuss a fake Rolex he is trying to import from America, for a friend. Or something like that..
Thread title edited to suit.
So, over to you Accy, it's all yours......

FWIW - 2.5 years later I haven't received any more strange unexpected deliveries from JD Williams :smile:.

Top Bottom