ACI Alpina spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibor

Bewildered
I am building myself some wheels, first real build. I have sourced some great value hubs and rims and now need to buy some spokes. I have found a company that sells ACI Alpina double butted stainless spokes at a very good price. Question is are they any good? Can I please have your opinions good bad or indifferent.
They are for a set of rim brakes road wheels.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I've had them on some of my builds, no problems at all.

Big John

Guru
I've been after reasonably priced spokes for a while. The site I used to use has disappeared, sadly. Mind if I ask where we can all lay our hands on a bargain?

OP
OP
Nibor

Nibor

Bewildered
Cheers found somewhere that does them for 25p a spoke and nipple cycle basket.com postage is a little steep at £6.50 but still reasonable compared to others

Venod

Eh up
I've been after reasonably priced spokes for a while. The site I used to use has disappeared, sadly. Mind if I ask where we can all lay our hands on a bargain?

I get mine from Spa cycles, but the last lot came from DCR Wheels, both reasonably priced, silver Sapim double butted are the spokes I use, they come with brass nipples.

I got mine from cycle basket too, no problems with them either.
Yes i will probably use them when i need some.
As noted above though, their postage charges are high and curious. They seem to insist on using a premium courier, even for the tiddliest bits. I once gave up on buying a wheel cone from them because of this. It could have gone in an envelope with a bit of protection but they were insistent on couriering it.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Rose bikes in Germany tend to be very good for DT Swiss spokes. There's an £8 delivery charge but this can be softened by buying several items.

ACI are a known spoke brand and alongside Wheelsmith, Sapim and DT Swiss make decent spokes. I prefer DT and Sapim as they're easy to get hold of.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Funnily enough my hand built wheels had alpina spokes. Rear wheel is needing rebuilt again. Local bike shop stopped using them as they broke a lot. Of course I could be in the minority but three spokes broke where they cross, never had that before on any wheels.

Top Bottom