ACL reconstruction with meniscus repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
How bad is the arthritis in the joint if you’ve been without an ACL for so long? Did the MRI show the state of the bones and joint space

At 56, it’s unlikely your meniscus is going to be able to be repaired with stitches, rather degenerate and just trimmed to a stable rim

@PK99 offers great insight above into ACLr in more mature years

Consultant says that while he cannot be certain till he opens me up there is little evidence of arthritis on MRI.

PK99

Legendary Member
How bad is the arthritis in the joint if you’ve been without an ACL for so long? Did the MRI show the state of the bones and joint space

At 56, it’s unlikely your meniscus is going to be able to be repaired with stitches, rather degenerate and just trimmed to a stable rim

@PK99 offers great insight above into ACLr in more mature years

Love the delicacy of your phrasing :laugh:

PK99

Legendary Member
I hope the OP doesn’t mind me jumping on ha thread.
I tore my right knee ACL 35y ago skateboarding. I have coped without it. How we over last 2 years a couple of crashes and using m knee to ram the rear of a car left me with residual knee pain and likley associated ITB issues. Also a growing lump on outside of my knee, 2x2 Cm. A recent mri confirms lateral tear to meniscus. Fluid from the rear has produced the lump. Surgery on 23/10. Surgery lite is remove and clean up the lump, repair or snip the tear. Surgery heavy is ACL reconstruction using hamstrings etc. Surgery will be day after my 56th birthday. Consultant says I am a coper and surgery lite is probably as much as I need. I am inclined to agree. Anyone else had to make the live and if so anything I should consider before making a decision?

My surgeon said he would not normally operate on someone my age, but as I was so active and fit from cycling he would do it. One incident prior to surgery convinced me it was the right choice. First warm day of the year in may, opened the patio door and went out. Stepped back in, door mat slipped under good leg and I landed on the floor like a sack of spuds with a MCL strain in my bad knee. If I had had any doubts that would have made my mind up! You appear to have been stable long term with no ACL so you choice might be different.

Further advice from my surgeon was that delay even for years is no issue of itself in the reconstruction. .

vickster

Legendary Member
My surgeon said he would not normally operate on someone my age, but as I was so active and fit from cycling he would do it. One incident prior to surgery convinced me it was the right choice. First warm day of the year in may, opened the patio door and went out. Stepped back in, door mat slipped under good leg and I landed on the floor like a sack of spuds with a MCL strain in my bad knee. If I had had any doubts that would have made my mind up! You appear to have been stable long term with no ACL so you choice might be different.

Further advice from my surgeon was that delay even for years is no issue of itself in the reconstruction. .
While I'm too young for him to do anything radical!

bobinski

Legendary Member

I see.

As with you my consultant said I could have whatever I wanted, that he felt it his duty to do given I had just come back from the Pyrenees and clearly did all I could to remain fit and healthy so why shouldn’t he help. He has sufficient time set aside in the operation date to do the reconstruction despite me saying I would co surgery lite. Also that I could delay choose the reconstruction next year and he would prioritise me. He was an absolute delight!

OP
OP
BigTam

BigTam

Über Member
That's me into my 12th week since my ACL surgery, things have moved on leaps and bounds.
Took a lot of the advice given on here, thanks guys and stuck religiously to the physio therapy.
Going to a rehab centre next week for a full 6 days intense physio, certainly glad I did opt for the operation, even at my age, oh and getting some miles in on the road again.

Drago

Legendary Member
Excellent news, pleased to hear it's going well. I had a colleague who's ACL snapped while running after a villain. He healed good as new, and he's hardly the fittest specimen you'll meet.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
That's me into my 12th week since my ACL surgery, things have moved on leaps and bounds.
Took a lot of the advice given on here, thanks guys and stuck religiously to the physio therapy.
Going to a rehab centre next week for a full 6 days intense physio, certainly glad I did opt for the operation, even at my age, oh and getting some miles in on the road again.

Excellent news. The rehab phase is tedious but you should now see rapid development.

6 days intensive physio sounds wonderful.... but expensive!

Ah, just read back and see you are ex Fire Service - you will be going to the fire service rebab centre then? Cycling mate, also ex fire service, went there following both his hip replacements and it is fantastic. They will work you at your level and progress you quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigTam

BigTam

Über Member
Excellent news. The rehab phase is tedious but you should now see rapid development.

6 days intensive physio sounds wonderful.... but expensive!

Ah, just read back and see you are ex Fire Service - you will be going to the fire service rebab centre then? Cycling mate, also ex fire service, went there following both his hip replacements and it is fantastic. They will work you at your level and progress you quickly.

Yes rehab at Jubilee House in Penrith, I am still with the Fire Service, not front line, technical.
The centres are run by the Firefighters charity and have an excellent reputation, going tomorrow for 6 days.

PK99

Legendary Member
Yes rehab at Jubilee House in Penrith, I am still with the Fire Service, not front line, technical.
The centres are run by the Firefighters charity and have an excellent reputation, going tomorrow for 6 days.

That is really good news. I'm envious. Let us know how you get on, I've no doubt it will be in leaps and bounds....

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
I have had 3 ACL revisions on my left knee since originally injuring it playing rugby many years ago. The rehab is absolute torture but the one key aspect is patience - listen to your body and work within the limits it's giving you. With this and a good physio it will come right.

Very best of luck with it - horrible injury.

Top Bottom