Acquired tastes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
I used to hate curry and indian food but absolutely love it these days.

Never did take to beer no matter how much I tried it. Just wasn't for me.

Ummmm, let me think............

Turnip/swede, love it, the more peppery the better
Cottage cheese
Soft cheeses
Flapjacks (I used to hate them:eek:)
Cauliflower
Digestive biscuits

I always liked beer!!

stephec

Legendary Member
I've never been a fan of Indian food, too much sauce, but a while ago I had Tandoori chicken, and that I do like.

Never in my life have I been a tea or coffee drinker, but about fifteen years ago I worked at a place near Rimini where it was compulsory to have a big pasta lunch at a local restaurant, followed by a coffee break a few hours later. Now I have a bean to cup machine to get my two double espressos a day fix. Still can't stand tea though.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We weren't allowed to 'not like things' when I was growing up. My mum had lived thru' the Blitz & rationing and she had a carbon-steel intolerance of food faddery or - worse! - waste. You ate what you were given, and you were grateful. Period. Consequently I grew up pretty much bereft of 'dislikes', so never had to 'acquire' any tastes. I like good food better than bad food, but there's pretty much nothing I won't eat - and enjoy, on some level.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My sister had hated olives all her life, but became an olive lover at the ripe old age of 38.

I can't think of anything that I've acquired a taste for. I ate and drank everything as a youngster and nothing has really changed (apart from now I'm not keen on prawns).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ummmm, let me think............

Turnip/swede, love it, the more peppery the better
Cottage cheese
Soft cheeses
Flapjacks (I used to hate them:eek:)
Cauliflower
Digestive biscuits

I always liked beer!!
Try putting half a teaspoon of Coriander into mashed Swede. :hungry:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I can't remember a time when I didn't like beer. Used to take sips of my dad's beer from an early age. Also his G&Ts.

Oysters are another thing that people often cite as an acquired taste but I first had them when I was 9 and loved them instantly.

Globalti

Legendary Member
One think I will never be able to enjoy is lager, or Europiss as it's known in real ale circles.

We weren't allowed to 'not like things' when I was growing up. My mum had lived thru' the Blitz & rationing and she had a carbon-steel intolerance of food faddery or - worse! - waste. You ate what you were given, and you were grateful. Period. Consequently I grew up pretty much bereft of 'dislikes', so never had to 'acquire' any tastes. I like good food better than bad food, but there's pretty much nothing I won't eat - and enjoy, on some level.

You are who you are. Your upbringing is a factor, of course, but that fact that you have broad tastes almost certainly would have been true however you were raised. I say this because I had a similar upbringing, but my one food hate is actually the result of a "carbon-steel intolerance of food waste" and my brother's story is the opposite of yours.

As a kid, I got a lot of chest infections, so took a lot of antibiotics, mostly in liquid form with some child friendly flavouring added. The banana was the worst, but I could just about gag down a teaspoon of it four times a day, as directed. One summer day my father bought for us a treat - choc wedges! (an ice cream). But instead of getting the standard vanilla we expected, he bought banana flavoured. It tasted just like the penicillin. But my father, born during the depression, could also not tolerate waste so he made me eat the whole thing. Since that day I have not been able to go near bananas. The smell makes me retch. I rather clean up vomit, than overripe mashed bananas. I was once baby sitting a toddler, and had to leave the banana she smeared in her hair because I didn't think I could clean it up without throwing up.

My brother, brought up under the same regime, was a picky eater then so would sit for hours after the end of a meal, staring at a tablespoon of now ice cold vegetables. He still is a picky eater, hardly eats any vegetables, only white bread and his favourite - only - pizza is just tomato, cheese and ham.

Oh, and did you really have beer, coffee, sushi, olives, cigarettes, cous cous, red wine, blue cheese, whisky, curry, and green tea (thanks everyone for that list!) growing up? My acquired tastes are mostly things I did not have as a child.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I can't remember a time when I didn't like beer. Used to take sips of my dad's beer from an early age. Also his G&Ts.

Oysters are another thing that people often cite as an acquired taste but I first had them when I was 9 and loved them instantly.
I had oysters for the first time a few years ago and to be honest didn't see what all the fuss was about. I didn't dislike them but they were just... alright.

Whisky I only got the hang of in my early thirties but it was also around that time I got the hang of drinking in moderation.

I will never knowingly eat a mushroom. There are several foods I don't like, but mushrooms are the the only thing that actually make me retch. If I smell them I have to leave the room. That's a taste I'm just not going to acquire.

Top Bottom